Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please...help...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Scorpion4eva

Scorpion4eva

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:21 PM

Okay, So i have an eMachines XP computer. My friends and family have been logining on my account for some while now. I am in need to know what they are loggining on because it is becoming really bothersome. I am unable to create seperate accounts because of family restrictions. So is there a program or a way that I am able to see what they are logging on? Please reply if you know of a way.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:32 PM

Unusual setup you have there. There is one simple way and that is to increase the number of days to store history and lock down IE settings if you are the administrator.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Scorpion4eva

Scorpion4eva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:34 PM

Well the thing is I want to see what programs they have provoked not the websites they have visited.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:12 PM

You can enable and use the Security log in the event viewer.

The security log records events such as valid and invalid logon attempts, as well as events related to resource use, such as the creating, opening, or deleting of files. For example, when logon auditing is enabled, an event is recorded in the security log each time a user attempts to log on to the computer.

You must be logged on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group in order to turn on, use, and specify which events are recorded in the security log.

#5 Scorpion4eva

Scorpion4eva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:25 PM

Where is the security log located?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:44 PM

Actually I reread your post about "family restrictions", and cannot help you evade them.

Why don't you just explain to your parents about what is happening and let them establish separate accounts for each user?

#7 Scorpion4eva

Scorpion4eva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:18 PM

Isn't there any way that I can view which programs have been provoked or files for that matter?

#8 risk

risk

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 06:07 PM

Isn't there any way that I can view which programs have been provoked or files for that matter?

There are plenty of ways you can spy on the activities of people who use your machine. However, if the machine is yours, why not just restrict them with a limited account or, better yet, just ask them not to run the programs you don't want them to run?

If, on the other hand, this machine isn't really yours, you obviously have no right to tell the actual owner what to do. I advise that you refrain from approaching the slippery-sloap that is keylogging or comp-spying... such things never end well.

risk

#9 Scorpion4eva

Scorpion4eva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 07:48 PM

My father is the one who is using my computer. I have told them numerous time not to mess with my folders because I have much important information on there and they might do something to it. Last time I saw him going into my removable drive. That pisses me off.

Then he acts as if nothing is happening and starts clicking randomley trying to close the windows he is on when I enter the room.

I have tried limited accounts but he insists to keep using my accounts.

I was wondering if there is something for free that can spy on what he is doing on my account and on my computer. I was the one to pay for the computer btw...

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:57 PM

Your father may just be supervising you, which is not only his privilege as your father, but his obligation as a parent.

#11 Scorpion4eva

Scorpion4eva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:00 PM

I can take care of my own self...I am 22.

#12 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:02 PM

Who bought the computer, you or your father? Also even if you bought it and using it in his house he has every right to do whatever he sees fit to do. JMHO as the father of 5

Edited by Bear, 04 June 2006 - 10:04 PM.

Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#13 Scorpion4eva

Scorpion4eva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:06 PM

He is living in my apartment using my appliances. I think I deserve to know what he is doing in my account...

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:09 PM

If it is indeed yours, password it and then password your files.

#15 Scorpion4eva

Scorpion4eva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:12 PM

As I have already stated, I am unable to do that for personal reasons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users