Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2600k Running very hot

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dkd136

dkd136

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

Hi, after I switched to a new motherboard the Asus p8z77-v and overclocking my CPU began running very hot. My cpu used to run at around 25c but it wasn't overclocked. After putting everything back together replaced the thermal paste with arctic silver 5. It has been overclocked to 4.4 with the asus turbo utility. Now it runs around 50-55c each core during idle and when running prime the core's temperatures jumped to 95c where I immediately shut prime down. My cpu used to run at around 25c but it wasn't overclocked. I have the Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System (Push - Pull setup which is blowing from outside into the case). The pump seems to be running at 1400rpm ... could this be the problem? I'm also thinking I may have put too much thermal paste. Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

Reset your bios to it's default settings (no over clock) and see what your temps are running that way.....if they are within your normal range then your O/C  is too high for your cooling set up. I'm not familiar with water cooling and if your pump speed is adjustable then try running it faster to rum more flow

Edited by Joe C, 18 August 2014 - 08:03 AM.

#3 dkd136

dkd136
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

Thank you for your reply. I have reset the bios and my cpu is at the stock speed. Load temps are better but idle temps are around 50c each core. I can't adjust the speed of the pump.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

Max operating temp for that processor is 72.6 Celsius...I would be inclined to go with a standard heatsink and a properly applied thermal grease because the temps that you report with your watercooling are just way out of line, IMO.

Louis

#5 dkd136

dkd136
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

hamluis, on 18 Aug 2014 - 6:13 PM, said:

Max operating temp for that processor is 72.6 Celsius...I would be inclined to go with a standard heatsink and a properly applied thermal grease because the temps that you report with your watercooling are just way out of line, IMO.

Louis

I think I will be buying a new cooler, the hyper evo 212. Maybe I'll have better temps with that.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

Maybe, but if you still have the stock cooler somewhere, it's a quick thing to try.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 dkd136

dkd136
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:13 PM

I don't have the stock cooler because I bought this from Cyberpower. I'm not sure if they were supposed to give it to me, but I never got it.

#8 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 554 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

That Asetek 510LC liquid cooler is an OEM cooler, they don't sell them to the public. You might want to  contact Cyberpower to see if there are any issues that might need to be addressed with that cooler

#9 dkd136

dkd136
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:29 PM

It's been over 2 years, do you think they would do anything?

#10 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 554 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

I would re-apply the thermal paste if it's been a couple years

Unfortunately, Cyberpower only offers a 1 yr warranty on their parts, if you case is wide enough (7.25") you can try going with the CM 212+ evo air cooler, they run about $35. and sometimes you can get them on sale for less, you'll need to get some thermal paste too...MX4 or Artic 5 will work fine

Edited by Joe C, 19 August 2014 - 09:57 AM.

#11 dkd136

dkd136
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:35 PM

I would re-apply the thermal paste if it's been a couple years
Unfortunately, Cyberpower only offers a 1 yr warranty on their parts, if you case is wide enough (7.25") you can try going with the CM 212+ evo air cooler, they run about $35. and sometimes you can get them on sale for less, you'll need to get some thermal paste too...MX4 or Artic 5 will work fine

Yeah I applied arctic 5 recently, didn't make too much of a difference in temps. I have the Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid-Tower Gaming Case. According to the measurements, I believe it will fit and I'm assuming it'll lower the temps by a good amount. Also, thanks for the help so far from everyone.

#12 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 554 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

Yeah I applied arctic 5 recently, didn't make too much of a difference in temps. I have the Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid-Tower Gaming Case. According to the measurements, I believe it will fit and I'm assuming it'll lower the temps by a good amount. Also, thanks for the help so far from everyone.

Get this stuff too

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010

because you can never be too clean

#13 dkd136

dkd136
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

Get this stuff too
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010
because you can never be too clean

Yes, that's that I used before I applied it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users