Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot delete font!?!?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kingwolfpup

kingwolfpup

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

I am unable to delete a font file because its in use and I have tried the command prompt thing but its just not working for me I don't understand. it says cannot delete because it's open in system. I have logged off and restarted and its still there i don't know what to do. its in my downloads folder and it's annoying me! 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

Is the inky font in the font section of Control Panel?

To delete a font
  1. Open Fonts by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Fonts.

2. Click the font you want to delete. To select more than one font at a time, press and hold down the Ctrl key while you click each font.

3. On the toolbar, click Delete.

#3 kingwolfpup

kingwolfpup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

The font is currently in my downloads folder I removed it from the fonts folder as an attempt to work things out but it didnt help. as of now i just hid the file so it doesnt show up anymore but if theres a way to delete it im all for it. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:37 PM

I am kind of leary about doing this in Windows 8 but access safe mode and see if the font can be deleted?

File Assassin by Malwarebytes is a utility that can delete files that are a problem.

If those two options do not work, there is a way to do it outside of windows.

#5 kingwolfpup

kingwolfpup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:11 PM

What do you mean "outside of windows"?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

I probably should have said "Offline" instead of outside of windows. If there is a file that is being used by the system and cannot be deleted by using safe mode or file assassin, I use a linux distro called Puppy.

#7 kingwolfpup

kingwolfpup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

I'm not up for installing something else like that right now. I'll just stick with keeping it hidden since it doesnt do any harm and it's out of my way for the time being. 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

There is nothing to install with Puppy. It is an OS that runs entirely in RAM. But, if you are fine keeping it hidden, that is okay too. http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

Edit: See this link. There was a recent update from Micorosoft that can cause the problem.

After you install this security update, fonts that are installed in a location other than the default fonts directory (%windir%\fonts\) cannot be changed when they are loaded into any active session. Attempts to change, replace, or delete these fonts will be blocked, and a "File in use" message will be presented.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 August 2014 - 07:21 PM.

#9 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:51 PM

I have the same problem on a Windows 7 machine with a font file on an external HDD enclosure drive, I have tried both unlocker and lock hunter, neither can delete it and both tell me that it will be deleted upon system reboot but the font file is still there.

#10 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:22 PM

I figured out what was wrong. No help needed. It turns out that my comic book maker program was still running as a process after I hit the x to close it therefore still locking the font in its process

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users