Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Pro very slow in deleting files and folders

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JoeWatson

JoeWatson

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

Is there any way i can I can speed up the deletion of files and folders?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

Hi,

Is that the only thing that is slow in the way of activities?

Can you provide some more specs on the hardware and installed software?

Thanks

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 JoeWatson

JoeWatson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:39 AM

I have no other activities which are slow. I have attached details of my computer.

I did a bit of searching on Google and there are quite a few website pages on thissubject but I haven't found a definitive answer

Attached Files

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

Hi,

The usual recommendation is to do a good cleanup - delete .temp files, clear caches, defrag disks, etc.

I find this one an excellent way to clean things up

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/ccleaner/

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 JoeWatson

JoeWatson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:24 AM

Hi paraclete

I will use all the features except the Registry Cleaner as I have read somewhere else in Bleeping Computer that registry Cleaners are liable to delete  items which may be needed in the future and this may cause problems with programs/applications etc. I note that you suggest a backup for the registry if you use this software and I expect this is the reason..

As this software is recommended by Bleeping Computer, are they in some way stating that it is safe to use as I see there is another software (Junkware Removal Tool) which has the following list of features:

Junkware Removal Tool has the ability to remove the following types of programs:

• Ask Toolbar
  • Babylon
  • Browser Manager
  • Claro / iSearch
  • Conduit
  • Coupon Printer for Windows
  • Crossrider
  • Facemoods / Funmoods
  • iLivid
  • IncrediBar
  • MyWebSearch
  • Searchqu
  • Web Assistant

When run, Junkware Removal Tool will remove all traces of these programs including their files, Registry keys, and folders.

This tool also deletes Registry Keys.

I know this is not really linked to this thread but I would very much appreciate your comments. Meanwhile, many thanks for your help with my slow deletions on Win 7. I will keep you informed.

Kind regards

#6 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:53 AM

- Does this happen all the time ? Does this start to happen after say 30 minutes or one hour ? Is the Service called "Browser" running (see Task Manager) ?

- Open "Resource Monitor" and see how large the total amount of "Free", "In use" & "Standby" memory (under the "Memory" tab) is when this happens. Can you post a screenshot ? In my experience this happens when I have little to none "Free" memory left on my Win 7 system.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

As this software is recommended by Bleeping Computer, are they in some way stating that it is safe to use as I see there is another software (Junkware Removal Tool) which has the following list of features:

When run, Junkware Removal Tool will remove all traces of these programs including their files, Registry keys, and folders.

This tool also deletes Registry Keys.

I know this is not really linked to this thread but I would very much appreciate your comments.

JRT is a tool designed for removing malware, as stated.  If you have or suspect that you have a malware problem/situation...probably the best thing that you could do would be to initiate a topic in the Am I Infected forum here at BC.

Louis

#8 JoeWatson

JoeWatson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:35 AM

I have deleted another folder sized 6.4mb. First I got a box stating it was "calculating" and showing  71 items and 508KB. Then I got a further box which showed 30 minutes remaining. In fact the deletion took 38 minutes which of course is crazy. Speed was showing at 0 items/second. Items remaining 59 (421 KB) I used CC Cleaner (excluding the registry) before doing this deletion.

I've tried to attach a screenshot which is in a compressed (zipped) folder of 46.3KB but am unable to as it states maximum size 3.95 KB

Any idea please

#9 JoeWatson

JoeWatson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:39 AM

I have deleted another folder sized 6.4mb. First I got a box stating it was "calculating" and showing  71 items and 508KB. Then I got a further box which showed 30 minutes remaining. In fact the deletion took 38 minutes which of course is crazy. Speed was showing at 0 items/second. Items remaining 59 (421 KB) I used CC Cleaner (excluding the registry) before doing this deletion.

I've tried to attach a screenshot which is in a compressed (zipped) folder of 46.3KB but am unable to as it states maximum size 3.95 KB

Any idea please

#10 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

JoeWatson,

Have you taken Louis' recommendation to start a topic in the 'Am I infected' forum? If so then I'd recommend we lock this thread and let you continue there where the experts can guide you.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#11 JoeWatson

JoeWatson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

OK. Thank you for your guidance and help

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,665 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:02 AM

Temporarily disable your Antivirus. Does this speed up the deletion? Are you using MSE for an antivirus?

#13 JoeWatson

JoeWatson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:14 AM

I'll try this the next time I delete a folder/file. I use Eset Nod 32 antivirus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users