Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adwcleaner locked my laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AnnamPleasant

AnnamPleasant

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

Heard about adwcleaner on the radio program Internet Adviser. Downloaded from bleepingcomputer. It ran and found, 2 items to fix. Selected fix. Now screen is black, spinning dots, message: Configuring windows updates 100% complete Do not turn off computer.
After hour and half, forced complete shutdown and waited a few minutes to turn it on. It is back to the same message, with the spinning dots.
Toshiba laptop, with windows 8. What can I do?

Edited by AnnamPleasant, 16 August 2014 - 07:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Gatorfan1

Gatorfan1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

Are you sure you aren't setup to download automatic updates? Adwcleaner restarts your PC after you go through the dialogue boxes after it finishes. Its possible you just downloaded/installed updates and it was just taking a long time to finish the updates. It's best to leave it be as long as possible. Always try to wait for updating to finish unless you've left it overnight already.

If that doesn't work, you can try to boot into your System Recovery Options and see if you can do a System Restore from before you ran Adw.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/open-advanced-startup-options-windows-8.htm

Edited by Gatorfan1, 16 August 2014 - 10:05 PM.

#3 AnnamPleasant

AnnamPleasant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:54 PM

Yes, there had been a 'prompt' about the restart, which I had expected. So, I believe that it shut down and began the restart, but is stuck here.
I will leave it overnight or maybe longer, hope for the best, before I get some geeks involved, since it is the weekend.

#4 AnnamPleasant

AnnamPleasant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:58 PM

I chose to do 'refresh'. it is back to the blank computer as purchased. So, now am downloading and configuring the browsers and apps (iTunes) that I had been using. I hope that I can remember log on id and passwords. maybe there was a way to go back only to 'the day before adwcleaner' but it was the weekend and wanted to get things running. Under Advanced options, I didn't see such a limited option.
All the bookmarks seem to be lost, but at least iTunes was automatically populated (library was recognized).

Edited by AnnamPleasant, 17 August 2014 - 07:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users