Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalled driver -- sound is still working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hiatus

hiatus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

Hello there,

I have been experiencing some issues with sound on my computer. It's flickering when I use the computer at the same time and listen to the music most usually on youtube, but sometimes on VLC too.

What I tried to do is to uninstall the audio driver (Realtek) and to install the version that is available on the producer's website (it is a dell xps l 501 laptop).

At the end of the uninstalling process, the install wizzard asks me to reboot, what I do, and when the computer starts up, I can see that it installs a driver for the audio device, but it is not the Realtek driver. The sound works just fine for all programs: browsers, VLC etc.

In the Control Panel there is no Realtek driver or any other audio driver mentioned.

So, my question is: is this normal? Is this some sort of windows integrated driver that gets installed when windows do not find the audio device after the reboot?

I tried to do this several times, and when I uninstalled it for the first time, after the reboot my Mcafee untivirus was disabled and the FFprotection (I suppose this is the right name for it) from windows was disabled as well and I reactivated both of them from the action center.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

Yes, it is normal. After you uninstall a driver and reboot, Windows will see the device as new and install generic Windows drivers for the device.

You can install the RealTek driver over the Windows driver. This will replace the generic Windows driver.

After installing the RealTek driver you may have to reboot. After the reboot it will use the RealTek driver.

#3 hiatus

hiatus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

Yes, it is normal. After you uninstall a driver and reboot, Windows will see the device as new and install generic Windows drivers for the device.

You can install the RealTek driver over the Windows driver. This will replace the generic Windows driver.

After installing the RealTek driver you may have to reboot. After the reboot it will use the RealTek driver.

Thank you, Queen-Evie, for your answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users