Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which "plug-in is needed to play this content"?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

Hi, my mom is trying to download a sermon using Firefox, but she gets a grey screen saying, "A plug-in is needed to play this content."  Nothing about which plug-in.  The url ends in "org/gnu/skin/board/movie_skin/player/movie.php?bo_table=movie&wr_id=318"  (I could not for the life of me get the actual url to unlink!!)

When I tried using Internet Explorer, it prompted me to use "the following add-on: Windows Media Player Extension."  Shouldn't she already have this?

Edited to add: IE played it once I said yes.  But if I don't want her to have to use IE, should I have her download Gnash?  Seems bizarre that she can't play this in Firefox.

Edited by pantherapardus4, 16 August 2014 - 05:23 PM.

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

you shouldn't need a plugin just to download something. if you want to watch it online use google chrome which has a built in flash player. that should save you from the risk of installing sneaky plugins and extensions(loads of ads try to hand out infection with messages along the lines of "you need our plugin to view this, totally rubbish anyway, content". ). the prompt in ie is likely because it wants her to allow an already installed plugin rather than actually having to install a new one, but ie is full of security holes so using chrome with it's built in plugins set as "click to play" is your best option. i never trust a site hat tells me to install a plugin when i know i already have an equivalent one.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:32 PM

You also need to check for addons are enabled such as WMP.

Tekken

#4 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

Thanks, jhayz & rp88.  IE was just asking permission to enable something, as you'd said.  I made a shortcut for her desktop that pulls it up in IE, so she can keep using Firefox for everything else & not have to remember to use IE for that one item.  I prefer sticking to Firefox b/c it's an open community, and it works well for me.  Chrome gave me too many of those "Aw, snap!  Should we kill this page or what?" messages, and it's yet another source of info for Google.

I'm just surprised b/c I've never had problems w/Flash programs elsewhere.  I guess the GNU platform (if that's the correct terminology) made it a little different.  Anyway, the problem is solved for now.  Wish everything were as simple as that!  :)

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

No problem. :thumbup2: Just FYI, never had any issues using Internet Explorer (latest version). Been using both along with Firefox. You should try clearing your cache files and run system scanners like Malwarebytes 2.0, Adwcleaner and your resident antivirus just to check on the difference and make sure all browsers and plugins are up to date.

Tekken

#6 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:15 PM

I guess that's a good practice, huh?  I'm no longer at their house, but I did see that they had Malware Bytes running every week.  In fact, I think it may have run after I enabled the plug-in.  There were some files needing quarantining, but they may have come from streaming free movies.

I have seen good reviews of IE 10 & 11, as well as Microsoft Security Essentials.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:03 AM

In that case, you need to also include Adwcleaner for more thorough scanning for PUPs and Adwares that would compliment your antivirus and Malwarebytes. I also use Bitdefender Online Scan for a quick diagnosis as a Firefox addon is also available which could notify the user atleast once a month for a routine analysis. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bitdefender-quickscan/

Tekken

#8 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:18 AM

Thanks!  Good to have trustworthy recommendations.  :)

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

:thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users