Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected by crypto, please help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nick72

Nick72

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:49 PM

Hi,

I think my laptop (Windows 7) is infected by a virus, maybe cryptowall.

When I start it up,  I get:

- a text document opens in Notepad saying that my files were "protected by a strong encryption with RSA-2048 using Cryptowall";

- a RunDLL dialog, saying it was a problem starting ..\jakmiba.dll, the module could not be found;

- a User Account Control dialog, asking me if I want to allow Adobe Flashruntime to make changes to my computer - I press No, and it goes away;

- a User Account Control dialog, asking me if I want to allow jucheck.exe to make changes to my computer - I press No, and it goes away;

- a User Account Control dialog, asking me if I want to allow eventvwr.exe to make changes to my computer - I press No, but it keeps comming back, the only way to switch to another program is via the System Manager.

I checked some documents (word and Excel) after I realized what this virus does, and I was able to open them, but not sure for how long. Could you please help me getting rid of this virus? Thanks a lot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

A repository of all current knowledge regarding CryptoWall is provided by Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), in this tutorial: CryptoWall and DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

Reading that Guide will help you understand what CryptoDefense does and provide information for how to deal with it and possibly decrypt/recover your files. At this time there is no fix tool for CryptoWall.

There is also a lengthy ongoing discussion in this topic: CryptoWall - new variant of CryptoDefense. Rather than have everyone start individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any questions, comments or requests for assistance in that topic discussion.

Note: Although this infection has numerous similarities to CryptoLocker or CryptorBit, there is no evidence that they are related other than that they do the same thing.

Thanks
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users