Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox won't load some sites, reports DNS/Untrusted connection issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 confuzzled367

confuzzled367

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

Hey everyone! I got a problem with my Firefox browser that started yesterday, and was really weird. I'll describe in detail what happened. It's very strange and I've never seen anything like it before. So, here I go.

Yesterday, I clicked on my "Home" button in Firefox, only to find that my home page would not load. Instead of my home page, I got a warning in a foreign language that prompted me to install something, and it was a Firefox page, or at least it looked like one. I believe the language is Spanish. The icon of the item that I was supposed to install was an Adobe Flash icon or something very similar. I tried installing it, but nothing happened. Tried several times and nothing happened, nothing was installed. Here's the text of the page that wanted me to install the application (or whatever it was), and keep in mind, this was a Firefox page in a foreign language that was displayed instead of my Google home page. I got the following text on the page.

"Você está navegando na web com Firefox e seu Plugin de Segurança pode estar ultrapassado"

"Por favor, atualize para a versão mais recente para um melhor desempenho."

And below was the option to download the file, which is also in Spanish. The file itself is named "Atualizacao_v7.exe".

- the site I got yesterday when starting Firefox is the following (it no longer exists as of today, but this is the link, it gives the 404 error if you try to access it): http://www.google.com/update/up2.php

After this, two things started to happen. Today, I am able to go to my home page, and the page in the foreign language no longer shows up. However, there are two things that happen now with my Firefox browser, and I'll describe them now.

1. I occasionally get a message when going to some sites. The message is the following: "DNS Lookup for "www.youtube.com" failed. System.Net.Sockets.SocketException The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found". This is the message I got when trying to access Youtube, however it happens with some other sites. Some sites will load if I try several times, some will not. Most will, as far as I have seen, but this occurs quite frequently. I also got this error with Google Chrome, but, only once, and it never showed up again. Could be it was a one off deal, so I'm not concerned about Chrome right now, but rather Firefox.

2. When accessing some sites (like gmail, youtube), it gives me the "This connection is untrusted" page, with the option of either "Get me out of here" or "Continue anyway". If I choose to continue, it gives me the option of adding the site as an exception so I can access it. If I do that, it does not load the usual layout of the page, but rather loads a white page with text and links on it that has the same contents as the original page. For example, instead of loading the usual Youtube layout on the screen with recommendations for videos etc, it will load a white page with the same contents, but the contents will be displayed as links and text (I'm not sure what is called, is it HTML or something, because I have no idea?). In addition, it will not let me play videos on youtube, so a site that was afflicted in this way is nearly useless for navigation. I am also not allowed to download Google chrome from my Firefox.

Here's the full text of the page that says that the connection is untrusted:

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect securely to mail.google.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.
What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

mail.google.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because no issuer chain was provided.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

In any case, these are the 2 problems I am having with my Firefox browser, and it's making internet browsing a living hell for me. The page in the foreign language is gone and no longer shows up (you get a 404 error), but I am now left with the 2 problems I described above.

If anyone could shed some light on this, I would be very grateful, as I am not a computer wizard. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate as my OS, and the latest version of Firefox as well. My current browser is Google Chrome (downloaded via my laptop because I could not download it from my Firefox browser). This seems to mainly be an issue with Firefox.

Edited by confuzzled367, 16 August 2014 - 05:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

Just to clarify -- that's not Spanish, it's Portuguese. The message you got stated your "security plugin" for Firefox was outdated and you should update it for better performance. Not sure you should have installed whatever it was you were prompted to install.

The DNS errors means there are DNS records for that website, but for some reason your browser was trying to download data that wasn't available from that site. The "This connection is untrusted" error means there's a problem with a SSL/TLS certificate(s). I'm guessing your certificate(s) may be outdated or invalid, as the sites you are trying to connect to don't seem to be having certificate issues on their side. In any event, I wouldn't recommend accepting those connections.

I'm not finding much on the Atualizacao_v7.exe file you downloaded, although it appears to be an executable file of some sort. (Atualizacao means "upgrade" in Portuguese). There is a legitimate Atualizacao DirectX executable for Portuguese-language OSes from Microsoft, but this doesn't look like it's legit.

My guess is you've downloaded a virus. You should ask the moderator to move this to the Am I infected? forum.

#3 confuzzled367

confuzzled367
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:57 AM

Aaaah right, I thought it was Portuguese! Those two are similar to me, though I don't know any of the two languages. Thanks for clarifying that. I agree I might have downloaded a virus. As far as untrusted connections are concerned, I've gotten that warning for a few sites and if it gave me the option to go ahead anyway, that' what I did, and nothing happened. I'm pretty sure I wold not be harmed if I accessed Youtube or Gmail. As a matter of fact, I can access it via Chrome just fine.

Also, can you explain this thing with certificates? I have no idea what the hell that is, and this is the first time I've heard of it. How would you explain this in layman terms? I've searched the web a bit, and found some explanations, but I'm till none the wiser.

Also to note, sometimes my computer warns me that my firewall is turned off or working incorrectly (that's what the warning says at least), but I get the option to turn it on, and after that it's fine. If this is a virus, it may be that it's messing with my firewall. Luckily, my computer warns me so I can turn it on immediately.

I will ask a moderator to move this thread, thanks!

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

SSL and TLS use certificates to encrypt the data traffic. Basically, the server you are communicating with has a private key, and it sends you certificates with its public key. If you were to look at one of those certificates, you'd see a long string of random numbers and characters; that's the key. The encryption algorithm is based on two very large prime numbers. The end result is any data encrypted with the private key can only be decrypted with the public key.

Hope that was understandable.

Good luck.

#5 confuzzled367

confuzzled367
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

Quite frankly, I did not understand anything since this is all new to me :) But thanks for the explanation, it did make some sense. Now the only thing that remains is to get rid of the virus or whatever this is. I'm not a happy camper xD

If anyone can help out, I'd be grateful.

Edited by confuzzled367, 17 August 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

Also to note, sometimes my computer warns me that my firewall is turned off or working incorrectly (that's what the warning says at least), but I get the option to turn it on, and after that it's fine. If this is a virus, it may be that it's messing with my firewall. Luckily, my computer warns me so I can turn it on immediately.

Mine is also doing this, would you please post what you are running?  And it would be nice for everyone if you would try and put it to your "Signature" in your "Profile"

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 confuzzled367

confuzzled367
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1, AMD Phenom X4 9550 Quad Core, 4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 266MHz of RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB, 298GB Hitachi HDT725032VLA360 ATA Device (SATA) Hard Drive, Microsoft Security Essentials program, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, McAfee Security Scan Plus.

These are my specs, and the list of anti-virus programs that I have. I also have Avira, but Avira says that it may be incompatible with Microsoft Security Essentials, so I have not installed it yet, but I could do, if necessary.

Also, I cannot have a signature yet, because I still need 22 approved posts in order to be eligible for a signature :)

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

Ahh yes I forgot about the signature, that helps though.  Just wait on some help.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 confuzzled367

confuzzled367
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:24 AM

Very well, thanks :)

#10 confuzzled367

confuzzled367
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:31 AM

I just got a differnt warning when trying to load a web site, one that I have not gotten so far. The warning is the following: "ReadResponse() failed: The server did not return a response for this request. Server returned 0 bytes."

Also, this now seems to be happening with Chrome as well, although with chrome I can usually go to the site if I try several times. Still, the virus is annoying as hell.

Edited by confuzzled367, 18 August 2014 - 08:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users