Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(Almost) Everything wiped? Help needed!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 miso2112

miso2112

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

So this is a very confusing little event that literally just happened.

My mother uses a Windows Vista laptop that recently has become very slow and clunky. The day before yesterday, she began getting errors of some kind, though she couldn't specify anything beyond it being some kind of driver. She claimed her computer would turn itself off, go to a black screen with white letters claiming that her computer had been shut down to protect it, and boot itself back up. Yesterday, the error stopped happening, but she said her computer still ran very slowly. When she went to turn it off, it installed 10 updates, then shut down. Today, when she booted it up, she came in my room upset and said something had happened.

Indeed it had. All of her Internet Explorer bookmarks were gone, as was all of her music and pictures. She was also logged out of every website she uses (Facebook and Yahoo were the ones I tested). It was as though she had taken the computer out of the box... except for one thing: all the games she had installed off of disks were still there. Thankfully, all of her pictures can be recovered off of her Facebook page, and she said her music wasn't a big deal, but I'm still curious as to why all of her favorite pages and history were completely gone. I was unable to run a MalwareBytes scan, but her MacAfee antivirus is also intact after whatever happened, happened.

I'd say something cleaned out her hard drive, but it's pretty obvious that isn't really the case since her games and Windows shell are still intact. What on Earth happened? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

I would download Gsmartcontrol and do a diagnostic test on the hard drive. It's possible some sectors on the drive was bad or the file system somehow became partially corrupted. In the root directory of the hard drive are there a folder called FOUND.000?

Seatools for DOS is another good program. You would need to burn the iso file to create a bootable disk. If Seatools does not detect the HDD, you would need to change from AHCI to IDE mode in BIOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users