Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 IE10 Search Providers Corrupted,, MOVED

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nickhamm

Nickhamm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

Mod edit: Moved to Win 8 from AII,not malware ~~boopme

Every time I open Internet Explorer 10 on a Windows 8 laptop, it pops up with a message "A program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider setting for Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer has reset this setting to your original search provider, Bing (www.bing.com). Internet Explorer will now open Search Settings, where you can change this setting or install more search providers."

Things I have tried so far:
Running Malwarebytes
Running Norton 2014 (updated)
Running ADWCleaner
Running JRT
Running RKill
Resetting IE10 defaults (In Internet Options>Advanced>Reset...)
Checking the User Shell Folders AppData registry key
And the fix that commonly fixes the problem, deleting the CREDHIST file in the %appdata%\Microsoft\Protect folder

And it's still popping up. Any suggestions?

Edited by boopme, 28 January 2015 - 10:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sjp424

sjp424

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:31 PM

Did you ever resolve the problem? I am having the same problem and can't seem to find anyone who's been able to fix it :(

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:31 PM

Have you tried updating to IE 11 ? 

If you have another browser, does it happen on that ?

Chris Cosgrove

#4 sjp424

sjp424

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:42 PM

I haven't tried moving to IE 11. I can use Google Chrome without the issue. Perhaps it's time to let go of IE...

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:13 PM

I haven't tried moving to IE 11. I can use Google Chrome without the issue. Perhaps it's time to let go of IE...

I think that I would prefer to follow the advice from Chris Cosgrove or dump Chrome and use Firefox ..........

Please download Temp File Cleaner by Old Timer
Usage Instructions:

1.Download TFC from the download link above and save the file on your desktop.
2.Close ALL running applications as TFC will terminate them before attempting to clean up the temporary files.
3.Double-click on the TFC icon.
4.When the program opens, click on the Start button.  TFC will terminate the Explorer process and all running applications and then begin the process of cleaning out all of your temp folders.
5.When done, press OK > Exit, and reboot your computer and finish the cleanup..............
Note: After removing temp files, the computer may show to be slow than usual, but it will improve once the cache is rebuild.

Edited by noknojon, 29 January 2015 - 11:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users