Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

a forum for "emergency" computer help with non-virus issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

on this forum you have two forums in your security section for emergency help with viruses and malware ("am i infected" and "removal logs") i think it might be a good idea to set up such a forum for computer problems which are probably not viral in nature but need urgent(or semi-urgent) help.

thought i should put the suggestion out there.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

Sounds good in theory. However, the reality is that a lot of people think any computer issue they have is an emergency.

An emergency forum would be over-run with mudane problems such as "my favorites link disappeared from the toolbar" or other things that are not a true emergency.

There is also the fact that BC depends on members, staff and the malware removal team who all have lives outside BC and help in any forum is dependent on who is online.

Help would not be received any faster in an emergency forum. As in any other forum, one would need to wait on someone who has knowledge of the issues. There is no way to have someone monitor an emergency forum 24/7. And it would have to be more than one person monitoring-it would take many who have expertise in a certain area.

The system in place now, with the various forums, works well for emergencies (real or perceived) and more mundane problems. Got an internal hardware issue? Post in that forum, where those who know about hardware will see it. The same applies to any other non-malware related issue. Helpers tend to gravitate toward the forums which fit their knowledge and expertise.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 August 2014 - 12:44 PM.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:46 PM

A further point is that AII and the log forum don't have immediate answers either.  Folks posting in the log forum, for example, may have to wait several days before getting a reply.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users