Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i want to upgrade to windows 7 from xp computer hacked by something nasty

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Angus_McAngry

Angus_McAngry

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

Hi , its farewell to xp finally . want to u/g now and i am having probs . Think we might be infected but have run almost every scan known to man , but not your advanced tools you have here . Hitman.pro did find traces of Conduit whatever that is and removed them .
still running xp at the mo . First Raid array was broken , then all kinds of crazy date time settings on files and on system , cannot use system restore access denied . Bios and cmos passwords appear to have been cleared ! Can it get into bios? Is my system safe once i u/g or no ? And now the soundcard is not working uninstall update driver no joy .
Ran the compatability tool and will be able to do what it says for win 7  . In system restore there is an ominous looking restore point set in the future  . How is that possible ? Please can you help ( i am not really angry i am a pussycat really rrrr  ;)  ? muchas gracias

Edited by Angus_McAngry, 16 August 2014 - 10:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

Not sure just what you are asking/seeking...but a clean install will likely remove any malware...and a clean install is the only way to get to Win 7 from XP.

Looking at the data posted above...I'm not convinced that your system problems would be cured by a clean install of any version of Windows.  Hardware problems are not overcome by installing any O/S.

Louis

#3 Angus_McAngry

Angus_McAngry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

Hi Louis , thanks for reply  need to upgrade to 7 anyway so I think I will clean the drives and go ahead then see where we are unless you think I should dig deeper before doing that . Its got the hardware from the factory apart from soundcard which has been on there for some years if that is what you mean . Thank you .

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

Given that this computer is several years old, try running the MS upgrade assistant before you go and try upgrading this computer - you can get it here :

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=20

all kinds of crazy date time settings on files and on system

Also, given the age of this computer try changing the CMOS battery. This is one of the prime causes of this sort of problem.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Angus_McAngry

Angus_McAngry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

Thanks there Chris but  my av program thinks i have arootkit . I have posted in 'am I infected' cheers scotsman!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users