Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New update broke pc. Need help with CMD/etc

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 xIcarusLives

xIcarusLives

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:12 AM

Hey there. I had to install a forced update on my 64bit Windows 8.1 HP Pavillion PC. When the update finished, the PC no longer boots up. I can get to the HP logo before everything stops working, and its an endless spinning icon. I tried system restoring and it did not work, tried command prompt stuff and it didn't work either. The update just came out and ive seen many people online with now broken computers due to it. People have figured out that deleting 'FNTCACHE.DAT' in sys32 folder fixes it, but when I try to, it says the file doesnt exist. (CMD).

Refresh PC would probably work except that when I attempt to run it, it says my recovery drive is locked and cannot be used unless I unlock it. HP installs recovery files on a separate drive (D:) and that's how you refresh/reset. I'm not sure if there is a CMD method of bypassing or unlocking the drive so I can refresh my PC, or if I'm just out of luck.  I absolutely DO NOT want to reformat as i will lose countless files of importance that were not backed up, so any potential fix to this would be lovely.  Its worth noting that this mandatory update is brand new, not even a week old and MS has acknowledged the problem. 

Any advice or ideas? I'm running out of patience and methods at this point. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,616 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

Hello,

See if using the DISM command as outlined here in step 13 posted by Laurens will work for you.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 August 2014 - 09:28 AM.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

Hi,

Did you locate the drive letter corresponding to the OS drive? When using the console the OS drive can now be D: for example instead of C: and the folder containing the file is system32 not sys32.

To determine what drive letter your Windows installation is located on, you can type this command press enter:

bcdedit | find "OSDEVICE"

This command will display output similar to : os device partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive that your Windows installation is located.

Edit: the full path is Drive:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT

Edited by SleepyDude, 16 August 2014 - 10:09 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

What is the update?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 xIcarusLives

xIcarusLives
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

Hello,

See if using the DISM command as outlined here in step 13 posted by Laurens will work for you.

When I do the dism command, all it says is "Deployment Image Servicing And Management Tool. Version: 6.2.9.200.16384"

No results actually show up for me to look through. Just that.

Hi,

Did you locate the drive letter corresponding to the OS drive? When using the console the OS drive can now be D: for example instead of C: and the folder containing the file is system32 not sys32.

To determine what drive letter your Windows installation is located on, you can type this command press enter:

This command will display output similar to : os device partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive that your Windows installation is located.

When I type in "Drive ----" as you suggest, it says the path isn't specified, and using that command you've listed it simply makes another line of whatever my drive was. For example, if I leave CMD without changing anything, X:\windows\system32 or If I've specified my Drive and changed it, "C:\". nothing actually happens beyond that, unless I'm doing something wrong

What is the update?

I haven't the slighest clue. It's brand new, this week or last. Forced me to do it.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,932 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:54 PM

Hi,

When I type in "Drive ----" as you suggest, it says the path isn't specified, and using that command you've listed it simply makes another line of whatever my drive was. For example, if I leave CMD without changing anything, X:\windows\system32 or If I've specified my Drive and changed it, "C:\". nothing actually happens beyond that, unless I'm doing something wrong

What is the update?

I haven't the slighest clue. It's brand new, this week or last. Forced me to do it.

Drive:\ needs to be replaced with the correct drive letter.

Please change the command to:

bcdedit | find /i "OSDEVICE"

To change the drive you have to type C: or D: only without the '\'

Edited by SleepyDude, 16 August 2014 - 12:55 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#7 xIcarusLives

xIcarusLives
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

Hi,

What is the update?

Drive:\ needs to be replaced with the correct drive letter.

Please change the command to:

bcdedit | find /i "OSDEVICE"

To change the drive you have to type C: or D: only without the '\'

Said my Drive is C, so I navigated to system32 and attempted to delete fntcache.dat, says the file doesn't exist. Used the command:

"if exist fntcache.dat (echo yes) else (echo no)" and it said no

Edit: tried dism image:C:\ /get-packages and absolutely nothing happens still.

Edited by xIcarusLives, 16 August 2014 - 01:05 PM.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,932 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

Said my Drive is C, so I navigated to system32 and attempted to delete fntcache.dat, says the file doesn't exist. Used the command:

Ok, just to make sure you are on the correct folder you need to type:

cd /d c:\windows\system32

the windows prompt will be C:\Windows\System32> from there you can use the if command of type:

dir fntache.dat

If the file is not there you will see File Not Found

___
Rui

#9 xIcarusLives

xIcarusLives
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

Ok, just to make sure you are on the correct folder you need to type:

cd /d c:\windows\system32

the windows prompt will be C:\Windows\System32> from there you can use the if command of type:

dir fntache.dat

If the file is not there you will see File Not Found

"File Not Found" :( Now I'm not sure what to do again. 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,616 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

"Edit: tried dism image:C:\ /get-packages and absolutely nothing happens still."

you need to add a slash after dism

dism /image:C:\ /get-packages

When doing the command. Type CMD in the search box. Right click > Run as Administrator

#11 xIcarusLives

xIcarusLives
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

There's no search box. I can only access CMD because it's built into the windows 8 recovery before the pc boots up. It's automatically admin though, starts on "X:\Windows\System32>"

Upon entering the command, I'm given "Error: 0xc0000135 an error has occurred while attempting to start the servicing process for the image located at C:\. For more info preview log file found at X:\windows\logs\dism\dism.log....

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,616 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:24 PM

Try the following command

DISM /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

#13 xIcarusLives

xIcarusLives
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

same error as I mentioned in my last post. 0xc000-----. I'm starting to think this is due to my specific computer being an absolute jerk about doing ANYTHING like this. To sysrestore for example, I must boot into safe mode so I don't encounter another 0xc-- error. Maybe it's the same thing here? It says "administrator" at the top so I know I have privileges. I hate this computer so much....

#14 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,932 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

Hi,

Please run:

sfc /scannow

and tell us the result.

___
Rui

#15 xIcarusLives

xIcarusLives
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

"windows resource protection could not start repair service"