Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google or Google Chrome

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:10 AM

I have an Acer ICONIA Tab W500 with Win7 HP 32-bit using Yahoo as home page

I'm thinking of switching to Google Chrome

I've seen many computers with Google as home page with a link to install Google Chrome

What are the differences or advantage between them?

Will it be necessary to keep up with Microsoft's Windows Updates: security, important, recommended, optional?

I use Microsoft Office 2000 with Microsoft's 2007 Compatibility program; will I have to switch to IE in order to keep up with their updates?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:29 PM

Google is a search engine, like Bing and Yahoo. Google Chrome is a web browser like Firefox and Internet Explorer.

And yes to others reading this I'm aware that Chrome and Google are more than what I just described. I'm keeping it simple in the context of the original question.

So the question is, do you need a new browser to go along with your Google search engine? That's where Google Chrome would come in.

Yes you need to maintain all your Windows updates. Neither Google or Google Chrome browser have anything to do with MS Office compatibility.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,688 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:01 PM

Animal thank you for your simple explanation

I have changed my home page from Yahoo to Google, have not installed Google Chrome yet

Figured I would go through with 2 Patch Tuesdays (Sept & Oct); I don't expect any problems with it

Before Nov Patch Tuesday I plan on switching to Google Chrome

My main intent is that I am "studying" to learn Linux and once I'm ready I plan on using Google Chrome and I'm interested in how it works before then

As far as I can see, Linux will be a learning curve and I don't want a browser to be part of the learning curve at the same time

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

You're quite welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

I would advise you switch from your current browser (probably internet explorer) to google chrome as soon as possible, even if it weren't for the numerous security holes in it IE is a slow and otherwise bad browser. Once you have set chrome as your new browser you can proceed to make google, yahoo or any other webpage you should choose your homepage. in  chrome you set the homepage by doing the following steps

"sandwich button"-->"settings"

then under the "on startup" section of the settings page that has just opened select the option "open a specific page or set of pages" and then use the little link"set pages" by the side of that button to input the URL of the homepage you want.

then under the "appearance" section tick "show home button" and "show bookmarks bar". use the "change" link to input the URL for your homepage here aswell. when you use chrome you will find that one does not "favourite" things  but rather "bookmarks" them, with the bookmarks bar shown this results in the ability to do exactly the same thing just with a new name. as far as linux goes your browser should be the learning curve you handle first, worries about your current OS can wait longer, your browser is a problem right now. 

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,688 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:58 PM

rp88 thanks for the advice. I will certainly put it to good use.

#7 sariki

sariki

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

Not only on others advice. If anything switch simply because it's easy to use. I haven't had any problems with chrome and I like it's versatility. Then again that's just me. 

Posting Goal: 25 50 100

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,688 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:26 PM

There's a lot of excellent advice I always welcome

I'd like to say though that I've always used whatever version of IE without any problems

The first computer I bought was a PB Windows 95 and it got infected within 6 weeks

I thought I had proper protection and didn't understand why

Because of my warranty, I was able to have the hard drive replaced for free

So what did I do?

Within a month I got to understand how to properly maintain & protect my computer and have continued the process for each computer since then, all with IE

I have also serviced many computers with Firefox & Google Chrome issues

--- Upon fixing what had to be done, I didn't see any lack of performance for my applicable IE vs. the Firefox or Google Chrome versions

I view it related more to maintenance, security and personal preferences

#9 bomatt6

bomatt6

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

I have never used chrome before. I've always been happy with firefox...with a google home page.

Firefox is very programmer friendly. And that is why I use it.

For the OP, I hear that Google Chrome is awesome, and...IE blows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users