Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Graphics Card. Wanting to make sure it will fit!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zerithan

Zerithan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:24 AM

Hi everyone!

I have a dell xps 8300 and I'm upgrading my GPU from a AMD Radeon HD 64500 to hopefully a ASUS 2GB GDDR5 DIGI+ D7770-2GD5

Not real sure if that's the proper product name so here's the amazon link: 

http://www.amazon.com/GDDR5-technology-Graphics-Cards-HD7770-2GD5/dp/B0088PK040/ref=sr_1_45?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1407961612&sr=1-45&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=ur2&tag=shopamd-20

I want to make sure that My computer will provide the right amount of power and also will fit correctly into my case. This is my first time switching graphics cards so any general advice or warnings would be nice. :) Thank you!! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:25 AM

I think with Dell systems you can check the specifications by entering the service tag number at http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04?c=&l=&s=bsd

I don't think the size will be a problem.  The XPS 8300 had higher end video cards (than the HD 6450) as an optional extra.  It's only really small form factor or slimline cases where you'd have trouble fitting an average sized video card like the HD 7770.

From a quick internet search, some sources state that the XPS 8300 came with a 460 watt PSU, which if correct should run a HD 7770 just fine.  Verify this is correct either with Dell or by opening the case and checking yourself.  It will need an external PCIe connector (6 pin) so your power supply needs to have one of these connectors.  The HD 6450 doesn't need any external connectors as it's low powered enough to take all it's requirements through the PCIe slot.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Zerithan

Zerithan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for the reply! So the only thing I should make sure of is that my PSU has that 6 pin connector. asides from, it should run fine with the 450 watt (which I do have)

Are there any general tips when changing out GPU's that i should know? first time upgrading a computer...

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:04 PM

Yep a 460w PSU is fine.

It's a pretty straightforward job really.  Safety first though, make sure you unplug it from the power before working inside the PC.

You just need a cross head screwdriver. Sometimes the PCIe latch (which is usually a little plastic clip at the front of x16 PCIe slots) can be awkward but make sure you don't force anything when removing the old card.  It should ease out.

Be aware of static, which has the potential to damage components.  Touch the bare metal on the PC case before handling any components to discharge static from your body.  Handle the cards components as little as possible (picking them up by the bracket or edges of the PCB).  If you have to put a card down somewhere while doing the upgrade, use the anti static bag the card is supplied in.

Finally, even though they are from the same manufacturer I would fully uninstall the AMD display driver before removing the HD 6450 and then re-install the AMD Catalyst driver when you fit the new card.  Don't know if it's strictly necessary, but it's something I prefer to do.

Don't know if this is any help, but it shows how easy it is really.

http://youtu.be/O9x097QRXeA

Edited by jonuk76, 16 August 2014 - 09:13 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users