Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD deployment, smallest hassle with Steam games

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 burnface

burnface

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:49 AM

Okay so I'm not sure where to ask this, so please move it appropriately if needed!

I finally got an SSD (160gb) and I'm trying to figure out the best way do this.. 

Right now I have a 1tb HDD partitioned into two 500gb drives. One of them is pretty much full of games (Steam).

If possible, I'd like to re-install Win7 and Office 2013 on my new SSD without having to re-download all 500gb of games. I currently have a quite slow internet connection, and that would take ages. 

I should also add that I really don't care about having to redo my Windows setup or losing those files, I just don't have the resources to download all games again.

Is there a way to do this? Can I backup the game files and Steam will find them again after re-installing?

Thank you so much for any help!

Edited by burnface, 16 August 2014 - 01:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:17 AM

I've never done this, but here is what I would try;

CLONE THE ENTIRE HDD TO A BACKUP HDD. This is your backup in the event this procedure doesn't work and destroys your data/partitions.

The below procedure assumes that "C:" is the Active partition... and that "D:" is the partition with data/Steam games.

At your own risk, NO guarantees.

1. Clone the "C:" partition to the SSD.

2. Remove (or disconnect, which is easier) the HDD and set up the SSD to be the bootable drive in the BIOS. Reboot the machine, your rig should boot up normally.

3. Power down the rig, now reconnect the HDD... make sure the BIOS "sees" it, and boot the rig. It should boot normally except that the PC will see the HDD as a "D" drive, and some "other letter" drive. (the D drive being the one with your games on it).

4. Bring up Disk Management. DM should see the SSD as "C:", and the HDD as a "D" drive and some other letter. Make sure that the partition with your games on it is named the "D" drive.  The other partition on the HDD (that was the former bootable Active partition) should be some other letter... as long as it's not C: (it shouldn't be, but make sure).

5. Now bring up Steam and try your games.

P.S. The above may require considerable monetary investment, especially if your rig doesn't have a free hard drive bay to do clones. You may need;

A. An external enclosure for a SSD.

B. An external enclosure for a HDD.

C. A 1TB HDD for the backup clone.

Good Luck.

#3 burnface

burnface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:47 AM

I've never done this, but here is what I would try;

CLONE THE ENTIRE HDD TO A BACKUP HDD. This is your backup in the event this procedure doesn't work and destroys your data/partitions.

The below procedure assumes that "C:" is the Active partition... and that "D:" is the partition with data/Steam games.

At your own risk, NO guarantees.

1. Clone the "C:" partition to the SSD.

2. Remove (or disconnect, which is easier) the HDD and set up the SSD to be the bootable drive in the BIOS. Reboot the machine, your rig should boot up normally.

3. Power down the rig, now reconnect the HDD... make sure the BIOS "sees" it, and boot the rig. It should boot normally except that the PC will see the HDD as a "D" drive, and some "other letter" drive. (the D drive being the one with your games on it).

4. Bring up Disk Management. DM should see the SSD as "C:", and the HDD as a "D" drive and some other letter. Make sure that the partition with your games on it is named the "D" drive.  The other partition on the HDD (that was the former bootable Active partition) should be some other letter... as long as it's not C: (it shouldn't be, but make sure).

5. Now bring up Steam and try your games.

P.S. The above may require considerable monetary investment, especially if your rig doesn't have a free hard drive bay to do clones. You may need;

A. An external enclosure for a SSD.

B. An external enclosure for a HDD.

C. A 1TB HDD for the backup clone.

Good Luck.

Hmmmm this seems like a good way to do it.. I'll basically probably have to clear off (backup) some of my C: to get it down to a size that'll fit on the 160 SSD first then correct? Cause I obviously can't clone 400gb to 160, so I'll just have to backup the data I guess.

Cool though, thank you much!! Will hopefully give this a shot this week.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,781 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

IMO I would disconnect the 1T drive, install the SSD get it up and running with the OS, AV and updates.  When done move the jumper on the 1T drive to make it a slave, hook it up there is no reason not to be able pull your games and data at will.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users