Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

got a series of popups, avast freaked out, got fake antivirus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gadzooksitsadukc

gadzooksitsadukc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:24 PM

The other day I was working on a graphic design job and tried downloading Helvetica from cnet (at the time I didn't know what Helvetica was a licensed font - I thought it was a free font (I'm quite new at graphic design)) and absentmindedly downloaded an installer which proceeded to install something called reimage. Now, I'm not sure if it's the same as Reimage Repair, which came up a lot when I googled it (it only refers to itself as Reimage), it has a light blue logo with lowercase "re" as the logo (I'll grab a screenshot next time it comes up). Avast and Malwarebytes were not able to remove it. It acts vaguely like an antivirus, but it's fairly obvious that isn't the case. What do I do? Do I just put all my important files on a thumbdrive and throw this laptop out the window?

Computer info: Windows 8, made by Toshiba, ~2 years old. Uses Malwarebytes and Avast.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:52 AM

G'day gadzooksitsadukc, and Welcome to BC.

open programs and features and look for the program there please.

If you have Revo Uninstaller already on your pc, use it to uninstall RE

If not......

Please download and install Revo Uninstaller Free

Double click Revo Uninstaller to run it.
    From the list of programs double click on The Program to remove
    When prompted if you want to uninstall this program, click Yes.
    Be sure the Moderate option is selected then click Next.
    The program will run, If prompted again click Yes
    when the built-in uninstaller is finished click on Next.
    Once the program has searched for leftovers....(be patient here ! ) click Next.
    Check/tick the bolded items Only, then click  DELETE 
    When prompted click on Yes and then on next.   
    put a check on any folders that are found and select delete
    when prompted select yes then on next
    Once done click Finish.

How to use Revo Uninstaller

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

#3 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

Look at the reviews at: http://download.cnet.com/Reimage-Repair/3000-18512_4-10907808.html

1.  Backup your important documents to a flash drive.
2.  Reset your computer to factory specs with the restore partition or DVDs.
3.  Re-install  all your software.
4.  After done installing your software, and running updates, use Macrium, downloaded from ( http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx ), create an image of your computer.

There could be several reasons that AVAST and Malwarebytes didn't detect it, mainly that is may not the a virus/malware in the traditional sense, so that is why it wasn't detected.

Have a great day!
:bananas: :bounce:

#4 gadzooksitsadukc

gadzooksitsadukc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

I... think I managed to get it, actually. I used RKill and AdwCleaner, they got some stuff, it hasn't shown since. Don't close this topic just yet, though, because it seems to only pop up once every couple days, so it could just be that I'm within that window right now. I'll let you know if/when it comes up again.

Also, unfortunately, due to an extremely long story, I was never able to put the factory specs onto DVD's. There weren't any of that size around the house and I had a rush of school assignments due when I got it. In other words, I'll probably have to buy a new laptop if reimage fries this one up enough.

Also, I did check, and yes, it is reimage repair, unfortunately. Obviously, I didn't buy it, but who knows if you even need to do that for it to start killing your computer. I doubt it.

#5 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

Hi gadzooksitsadukc!

Since the symptoms you were experiencing earlier seemed to be fixed by running AdwCleaner and RKill, I'd like to see the logs that those applications produced.
The RKill log (Rkill.txt) should be on your desktop.
The AdwCleaner log (AdwCleaner[R#].txt, where the largest value of # represents the most recent report) should be located in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.

As Condobloke suggested, looking in Programs and Features and running Revo would be a good idea.

r0d3r1ck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users