Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Potentially Unwanted Program Discovered By My Expired McAfee Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 minmin11

minmin11

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:17 PM

I was browsing Wikipedia this morning when a McAfee popup (which has been expired for 13 days) indicated that I have a Potentially Unwanted Program. I opened it up to learn more about it and did some tinkering. I tried to do a full scan, not really expecting much since as I said, it was expired, so I was surprised when it actually scanned.

It detected the potentially unwanted program (PUP-FIW I think) and took a while to scan the rest of my computer. It got up to 99% scanned, but it got stalled after that. I turned off the computer, turned it back on, and tried to scan again. When I got on the internet, it didn't load my homepage. I ended up doing a total of three scans, the third of which is ongoing as I currently type this (it's also stalled on the at 1%).

On my first scan, I managed to isolate the PUP, but then it scanned a second time and the PUP popped up again. When I tried to isolate it a second time, it didn't work. Then I tried to scan a third time, which is as I said on the last 1%, and so far it hasn't detected the PUP. While it was scanning the first and second time and when I went on the internet, McAfee would send new popups on new PUP's, which looked similar to the first popup except the last digit on its number were different.

Just so you know, I got this laptop as a birthday present around a month and a half ago with McAfee already installed for a set period. It's a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series with Windows 8.1. I've been using computers all my life, but sadly I'm not very technology literate, relying mostly on family members to solve computer problems. I'm not quite sure I know what I'm doing.

Also I had issues yesterday with my computer too. On Wednesday I was browsing the internet when the internet just sort of froze. When I tried to click something on the website, it would take so long to load that I'd just give up and exit. I turned off the computer and turned it back on, but it didn't solve the problem with the internet. I went to sleep since it was midnight and did a system restore on Thursday to an earlier point. It didn't restore as smoothly as I hoped since a lot of pre-installed apps weren't working, so I had to download them again. I thought everything was good until today, and then the PUP happened. 

I've already had a couple of scares before with the mouse not popping up or a black screen when I turn on my laptop, but it always got fixed when I turned my laptop on and off.

I'm afraid of something screwing up my computer now, so I'm thinking about potentially downloading another free anti-virus from the internet, possibly AGV. I'm also thinking about doing another restore, but I read somewhere that you shouldn't do it when you have a virus since it could just make the problem worse. I also read that there could be problems if I downloaded an antivirus while my laptop had a virus. I'm not sure if I have a threat on my hands, if it got fixed, or if it was never a problem in the first place. And why is my McAfee detecting, scanning, and potentially getting rid of viruses, PUP's or other problems when it's expired?

I'm so confused.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:28 AM

G'day minmin 11 and Welcome to BC.

I think the best way to go about this will be in the following manner.

1.Download another Free AV to your desktop, so it is sitting there ready for when you install it.

I think a good choice would be either AVAST  or  AVIRA

Do NOT install it until we have uninstalled the existing AV program

2. Uninstall McAfee....HERE

When it has uninstalled....be sure to REBOOT

3. Install your choice of AV's

4. If you do not already have it, install Malwarebytes from HERE

That will do to start with.

When you have finished that we will go further.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 minmin11

minmin11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:43 PM

Does a system restore count as a reboot?

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

We were installing/uninstalling your out of date AV......how did you end up in a System Restore situation ??

Doing a Sys restore will not help your AV in any way.....and my help to thoroughly confuse the issue even more.

Tell me more ....

Edited by Condobloke, 16 August 2014 - 10:57 PM.

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 minmin11

minmin11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

I didn't actually do a system restore if that was the conclusion you came to. In fact, I haven't actually started on the instructions you set out on your post (it sounds stupid, but I skittish about doing these things, sorry). The reason I mentioned it was because I always kind of assumed that it was the same or similar to a reboot. If a system restore is distinct and different from a reboot, then how do I do a reboot? When I put 'reboot' in my Windows 8.1 search engine I get nothing. What's the difference between the two? How will a reboot affect my files?

Also, you keep saying 'we' in your posts. Does that mean that sometime during the process you want to access my computer? Or is it just a figure of speech? I'm confused on that.

Another question; what do you mean when you said further on your first post? What other steps would I potentially have to take after I download my second AV, uninstall McAfee, reboot, install AV and malwarebytes? If there are more steps, then I'd also like to know about them in detail.

I plan on going to my uncle's house today to get some help from him on these things-he's a bit of an expert on computers. It's not that I don't trust your advice or anything, please don't take it that way. It's just that I'd feel more comfortable going through these steps with a person I'm familiar with who has experience with these issues.

I really appreciate your advice and I'm sorry if all my question are more than what you bargained for. As I said, I'm not very technology literate. In addition, I'm the type of person who needs to know everything about everything, especially if it's new.

BTW, McAfee has warned about the PUP a few times today. It doesn't seem to be doing to much damage (yet).

#6 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

Hi minimin11.Calm down it is not a serious problem.

First i advise you to download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from http://www.malwarebytes.org.

When you download it,update it and do a scan with it.If you can't scan execute the Malwarebytes Chameleon by going to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program file and inside going to tools>Malwarebytes Chameleon.

Remove any threats found and reboot if required.

Then download AdwCleaner from https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/.

Scan but don't delete if it has found anything.Just paste the log here and an expert from the forum will be happy to assist you and tell you what item to delete.

These are the steps i would do if i were you.

Edited by ArisMFighter, 17 August 2014 - 02:32 PM.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

Ok minmin, now I understand where you are at.

Reboot. (Restart)...sorry...incorrect terminology on my part)

• Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Settings. (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Settings.)
  • Tap or click Power, and then tap or click Restart.

My use of the word "we" is merely a figure of speech (it is actually me using the word incorrectly,)

I will definitely not be accessing your computer. Bleeping Computer does not do that sort of thing....ever.

The steps to be taken further on will probably be running a security check....this will make sure that all traces of Mcafee are gone.This is done because running two AV's is never a good idea. They basically "compete" on your computer for the available resources and as a result neither one does its job properly.

pup is a "potentially unwanted program, ....it is usually nothing at all serious.....in other words they will not steal passwords or render your computer useless, but can cause pop ups and other behavior which is both distracting and also uses resources that can be better utilized elsewhere. They also usually bring a great deal of advertising with them whose sole object is to get you to 'click' on an add which will result in more 'adware' and pups being downloaded to your pc.....all of which are "unwanted"

Then a program which will find and delete the pup's should be run. This will probably be 'AdwCleaner', which has a good reputation, and is used on BC (Bleeping Computer) hundreds if not thousands of times each day with good results.

Depending on the results shown there, I may ask you to run a couple of other similar programs, (Malwarebytes, Junkware Removal Tool..) to be absolutely certain that all traces of adware etc have been removed.

At the end of all this I will give you the all clear and give you some general advice on how to stay uninfected, programs which you can keep on your pc to run on a regular basis etc etc

I appreciate the approach you have taken.....It has "bought me back to earth".

I would not worry too much about McAfee's warning.

I will be back online in approx 2 hours from now....if you have any questions for me, they will be most welcome.

#8 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:27 AM

But it is worth trying  JRT (Junkware Removal Tool) after AdwCleaner.

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

G'day again minmin,

I would like to assure you that the steps I outlined in Post # 2, are a reasonable,safe, and logical way to proceed.

It is imperative that we make sure you do in fact have an AV program that is active....otherwise your computer would be unprotected.

THIS  topic cast doubt on whether McAfee is still active when it is unlicensed ..."McAfee........since it is not going to help you without a license."

Please do not install programs such as Slimcleaner, ....at best it is a glorified registry cleaner which Bleeping Computer does not recommend.

Read HERE     (Credit,  quietman7, Global Moderator )

Anyone recommending these programs to you does not have your best interests in mind.

Condobloke

Outback Australia

#10 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:11 AM

Minmin11 Run the programs i tell  you(Malwarebytes,AdwCleaner).Remove anything found with Malwarebytes but if AdwCleaner found something,do not delete anything.Only paste the logs of AdwCleaner and someone will tell you what to delete according to logs.

#11 AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup

• Security Colleague
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/182397/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do-how-do-i-get-help-who-is-helping-me/

As this is an open area, available for any member to post in, please use caution when following the advice given. Instructions from the following member groups is to be considered trusted:
Admin | Site Admin | Global Moderator | Moderator | Malware Study Hall Admin | Malware Response Instructor | Malware Response Team | BC Advisor

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/250928/instructions-for-posting-advice-in-am-i-infected-forum/

As a member of Bleeping Computer you are allowed to interact with others that post for assistance in this forum only. Any advice given is subject to modification or removal by the moderating team. We appreciate the fact that you are trying to help others, but we require that this advice be kept general, minimally invasive and provided only in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum which is dedicated for such assistance.

That means you are not permitted to offer malware removal advice or instructions to run security tools in any other forum on this site.

#12 Guest_ArisMFighter_*

Guest_ArisMFighter_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

The advises i give are correct for the problem,but i didn't know that only special members of BC should give advises about malware problems.Thank you Security Colleague  :) .Minin11 wait assistance from a special member  :thumbup2:

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

The advises i give are correct for the problem,but i didn't know that only special members of BC should give advises about malware problems.Thank you Security Colleague  :) .Minin11 wait assistance from a special member  :thumbup2:

There are no designated "special members" for helping in Am I Infected.

What AdvancedSetup posted clearly states who can help in Am I Infected and that is ANYONE.

this is an open area, available for any member to post in

Bleeping Computer staff closely monitors Am I Infected to make sure those who need help are receiving the best advice, suggestions and help with their malware issues.

In addition to the member groups in the post by AdvancedSetup there are also regular members who help here and do an excellent job. Condobloke is one of them.

If a member is concerned about a non-staff member helping all the member needs to do is send a private message to me or any other moderator.

Keep in mind that everyone has a different way of doing things. They ask questions and recommend certain tools and procedures for a reason. There is an order to the procedure.

Also note that Condobloke never said to run Security Check. All he said was

further on will probably be running a security check

Quibbling over Security Check does nothing to help minmin11 resolve the issue. Neither does saying "I'm right and you are wrong". It detracts from the help process.

The focus should be on helping resolve the issue, which is what Condobloke is trying to do.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 August 2014 - 04:44 PM.

#14 minmin11

minmin11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

I downloaded Malwarebytes yesterday and did a scan; it found nothing incriminating. That's about all of I've done since I wrote my first post on the 15th.

Today I tried to download ADWcleaner from Aris's link in his first post, but the computer said something like 'this program isn't commonly downloaded and may cause a virus' or something similar to that. Theoretically, what kind of stuff would ADWcleaner find that malwarebytes couldn't? Do people often use the two in conjunction? And why would my computer give the warning it did about ADWcleaner?

Would it be okay to just have malwarebytes by itself, then delete McAfee and install another AV? (I'm leaning towards AVG since my brother recommended it to me and my cousins use it).

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

G'day minmin,

Downloading Malwarebytes is a good move. This is a program to keep. Update it and scan with it regularly.

Malwarebytes is a brilliant program when used in conjunction with other protection software.  It is Not intended to be used as a stand alone protection program. It must be accompanied by a reputable AV program, and some good surfing habits.

Which particular AV you use is your choice. This is your computer. However....I would encourage you to read quietman7's dissertation on the subject of AVG before you make your final decision.

You will find his opinion HERE  just scroll down a little bit

I would have preferred to get the issue of the AV out of the way first, but if you would like to press on with finding if there are any pups etc , please follow the directions I give,......

Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE
* Save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Please download and run RKill by Grinler.
 A black DOS box will appear for a short time and then disappear.
 This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
 At most the tool will usually run for about 2 minutes
 Please Copy / Paste the small log back here.

Important: Do not reboot your computer until you complete the next step.

Please Note.....this download link for AdwCleaner is from the Bleeping Computer website....if you receive Any warnings etc etc Please inform me of this before proceeding

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
 * Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
 * Vista / Windows 7 / 8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
 * Click on the Scan button (only once)
 * AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
 * After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
* Check the removals and see if you are OK with the list.

* Now
 * Click on the Clean button (only once)
 * Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
 * Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
 * After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
 * Copy and Paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.

* A copy of all logfiles are also saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users