Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need advice for a motherboard

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TempleCat

TempleCat

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:55 PM

I just got a good deal on an XP with a good sized case from my daughter's school, as they got new pc's this year.  I'm updating to Windows 7, and will add Linux to it later.
Looking for advice on a good, fast Motherboard, for starters. And advice on other components that would work well would be cool. Not doing any gaming, just lots of surfing, Youtube and research (I'm a paralegal student).  Will be making DVDs, CD's, etc, as I have 4 slots. Will go for a great sound card too, as I plan on doing some recording/mixing of my own music.
Suggestions?

Mod Edit:  Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 16 August 2014 - 08:13 AM.
moved from Windows 7 to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:17 AM

I just got a good deal on an XP with a good sized case

Sorry I'm thick, but what is an "XP"? The OS?

We need make and model of PC to give meaningful advice. The reason being that if the hardware in the PC is past a certain age, then Win 7 won't play well with it because of driver issues.

You can run the Win7 Upgrade Advisor from here... http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20 .

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,275 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:16 AM

Well...we need to know just what components you have now and plan to reuse...and we need to know how much money you have set as a ceiling.

IMO, just about any motherboard will do for the applications you plan on...but you may need a PSU, RAM, CPU, etc.  It's important to know what the dollar limits are, IMO.

Louis

#4 TempleCat

TempleCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

I will send some pics of my tower when the battery charges in my digital camera. I don't know what brand it is, there really isn't much to clue me in, except the weird shape letter design on the door. It could be an E-Machine.(?) Hopefully someone will recognize this type of PC by the picture, as the school did not have the book or paperwork on it, they were very uninformative, just wanted someone to take them after they purchased new ones.

And yes, by "XP" I was indeed referring to the PC's Operating System. I took this to a local shop, they told me it was underpowered to install Windows 7. I am building my own, first time and I know you folks here are very knowledgeable. Had a stroke in my stressful factory job 6 years ago, I am now studying law, and I know I will need to know much more about PC's than what my class has taught me so far. It has a large case, which I'm looking forward to putting some good components into. I have not set a price limit, as I am doing this as a slow project. I can do whatever I need money wise, it's a week-to-week thing but I am not really limited per se. I am on my own now, so no nagging about my money in my home anymore :) I am 49 years old and have been using PC's since 3.1 was "the thing" in the workplace lol. And have wanted to build my own for a very long time, now is that time. Please help me graciously here, thanks.

Edited by TempleCat, 16 August 2014 - 03:33 PM.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

Any time you're talking about upgrading the motherboard you're pretty much talking a whole new machine.

I'd recommend saving your money until you can get the parts.  You may be able to use the hard drive and optical drive from the current machine, but I wouldn't count on being able to use much more out of it.

I'd suggest creating a new thread requesting recommendation on parts for the amount you want to spend.  Please remember that you will also need to purchase a Windows license that will cost you $100 at a minimum.

#6 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

I will send some pics of my tower when the battery charges in my digital camera. I don't know what brand it is, there really isn't much to clue me in, except the weird shape letter design on the door. It could be an E-Machine.(?) Hopefully someone will recognize this type of PC by the picture, as the school did not have the book or paperwork on it, they were very uninformative, just wanted someone to take them after they purchased new ones.

And yes, by "XP" I was indeed referring to the PC's Operating System. I took this to a local shop, they told me it was underpowered to install Windows 7. I am building my own, first time and I know you folks here are very knowledgeable. Had a stroke in my stressful factory job 6 years ago, I am now studying law, and I know I will need to know much more about PC's than what my class has taught me so far. It has a large case, which I'm looking forward to putting some good components into. I have not set a price limit, as I am doing this as a slow project. I can do whatever I need money wise, it's a week-to-week thing but I am not really limited per se. I am on my own now, so no nagging about my money in my home anymore :) I am 49 years old and have been using PC's since 3.1 was "the thing" in the workplace lol. And have wanted to build my own for a very long time, now is that time. Please help me graciously here, thanks.

Hi! Regarding your first post, please be advised that a motherboard, has (technically) no performance bearing to your computer. All it does is provide a connection between all the necessary hardware in your system.

Please note, that we do have those motherboards that can "Overclock" your CPU, that can actually make your system perform a lot faster, however, as you have told in your post, I might not recommend you to "Overclock" for now (no offense).

Meanwhile, I would recommend you to download Speccy here. Install and run this so you will know the current Hardware and Software that is present in your Computer. You can then post a screenshot of the information that you will in Speccy, in this thread so we can help you further.

Cheers!

Edited by Zerue, 17 August 2014 - 10:49 AM.

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users