Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp Freezes And Must Do Hard Reboot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Celica18l

Celica18l

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 05:03 PM

I have a HP Pavillion A656x
-AMD Athlon XP 2.10GHz
-1g RAM
-160 GB Seagate HD
-NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256mb video card
-Power Supply Antec Model TPII-430 430Wps

About 3-4 months ago my computer started freezing a lot, we tried every spyware removal tool and ran virus scans and the whole 9 yards, it was so bad that Norton would crash the computer when trying to install it. Finally we reinstalled Windows XP SP2 and all was great for about an hour then it started freezing again.

When it freezes the whole computer locks up I get this little tiny two or three inch long thin white line in the middle of the screen. Also, I read that if you can press the Num Lock key and the light blinks on and off that I should give it a minute, but my num lock key just stares at me. Nothing works, mouse freezes, keyboard freezes, and I have to hard boot with the power button to restart. It does it all the time (surfin the net, listening to music ect) but it does it MOST while playing the java based online game Runescape.

I'm a huge gamer and I've abused my compy with the Sims2, and Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 all of my settings surpass min requirements for gameplay and I can use optimum graphic settings w/o any type of lag. While playing these games this is the ONLY time the computer DOES NOT freeze and that makes me think its NOT the video card.

Also my CPU while running Runescape sits about 85-90% and constantly maxes out at 100%, I don't know if this is a major problem because it is an online game but thought it would be nice to include. I don't normally have other programs running while playin except MSN or AIM messenger (one or the other).

My husband and I thought it might be a heat issue and we have cleaned my computer out many times and now its no longer near the floor it's sitting on top of my desk and drawing quite a bit of air, more than it was before yet it's still doing this.

Could this possibly be a hard drive issue? Ram? We upgraded RAM when we first got the computer almost 2.5 years ago and I've just recently had problems. Everyone else we asked said it could be the hard drive but I'm still not sure why it would cause it to lock up as much as it does.

Hope someone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate any imput we have tried as much as we can but we are all still pretty new at this whole compy biz. Thanks so much!

:thumbsup: ~Ashley~ :flowers:
~Ashley~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:16 PM

When you re-installed XP, did you also install the latest drivers for your video and audio cards?
Have you run checkdisk and then defragged recently?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Celica18l

Celica18l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:23 PM

All the drivers and everything are up to date and I defrag, check disk, all the time I try to take really good care of my computer.

We think it's overheating though he installed some program, Speedfan, and he can monitor the temps of the CPU, Case and harddrive are these good temps

CPU: while Idling 40-45C (depends on what programs I have open)
CPU: while surfing or playing a small game 50-53C

CASE: 38C

HD: 35C

Earlier I restarted my computer and forgot to turn the program on and I was playing this game and it froze and it was kinda warm back in the room so I'm thinking it's overheating. But I have no idea :thumbsup:
~Ashley~

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:21 AM

The temps are high, but not unreasonably so (IMO)

Have you installed/updated the motherboard/chipset drivers?

Also, check your Event Viewer for errors related to this. Here's a link to the "How-To" on it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Celica18l

Celica18l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:07 PM

We did the event log and I don't have any errors...

Where should the temps be on my computer. Before we installed the SpeedFan they were in the 60C's so they have lowered quite a bit.

Should we look into getting a cooling system and if so what type would be best?
~Ashley~

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 08:54 AM

If there's no errors in the Event Viewer (and you haven't disabled the Event Log service) - then there aren't any errors that Windows can recognize.

So, the most likely problem is hardware (although some drivers can do this also). I'd try checking your hardware with some of the free utilities that are available before you start swapping out hardware (things like SMART status, MemTest, etc)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 bandaid1968

bandaid1968

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:05 PM

i had a simlar problem when i first installed nortons it kept freezing my computer and then i took it out and guess what it fixed the problem i would suggest uninstalling nortons and goto www.avast.com and download the antivirus program i have not had a single problem out of it it is totally free just to see if that fixes the problem if not keep reading there should be a solution somewhere in here

#8 Celica18l

Celica18l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:10 PM

We deleted norton ages ago lol that program is crap all it ever does is slow my computer down and it never deleted viruses so we got rid of it after we reinstalled windows. Thank god it's a waste of money also :thumbsup:
~Ashley~

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 03:51 PM

I hope you replaced it with a good AV program.

As far as java, are you using Microsoft's version or did you download java from Sun Microsystems, the originators of java?

http://www.java.com/en/

And what browser are you using?

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 June 2006 - 03:54 PM.

#10 Celica18l

Celica18l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:52 PM

Yea the program we are using is pretty good. Simple and we like it.

I'm using internet explorer the latest version and we DLed java from the makers site Sun.
~Ashley~

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:57 PM

Try downloading and using Firefox instead of IE to access Runescape.

http://www.firefox-download-free.com/

And make sure you have the most current version of Java

http://www.java.com/en/

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 June 2006 - 08:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users