Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU temp too high on new PC

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Boog33

Boog33

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

I just got done building my new PC (PCPartPicker), and when I booted it up the temp was about 50 Celsius when idle. The max temp for my CPU is 72 degrees. My first though was that I didn't install the stock fan/heatsink with pre-applied thermal compound correctly. So, I went to Best Buy and bought this stuff. I re-installed the stock fan/heatsink and the thermal compound. The idle temperature is still about 50 degrees. I tried playing Minecraft, but it rose to 70 degrees and I shut it off.

Do I need to look into getting a different CPU cooler?

The CPU temperatures were measured in the BIOS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

Hi,

I would recommend a bigger, badder cooler. Just be careful that you don't overload the power supply.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

I would try the thermal compound/reseat again, assuming that I used the correct amount of thermal compound and the heatsink is secure.

Applying Thermal Paste - iFixit - http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Applying+Thermal+Paste/744/1

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 August 2014 - 02:14 PM.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

It doesn't look like the case has much in the way of cable management features, but try and tidy up cables in the case as best you can to maximise airflow.  Cable ties come in handy.

I'd also fit an additional 120mm fan in the front panel, as there is space but it doesn't appear to be supplied as standard.

You can fit a tower style cooler in the case.  This one is good, well priced and appears to fit (there's completed builds on PCPartpicker using this cooler in the case).

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Boog33

Boog33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

It doesn't look like the case has much in the way of cable management features, but try and tidy up cables in the case as best you can to maximise airflow.  Cable ties come in handy.

I'd also fit an additional 120mm fan in the front panel, as there is space but it doesn't appear to be supplied as standard.

You can fit a tower style cooler in the case.  This one is good, well priced and appears to fit (there's completed builds on PCPartpicker using this cooler in the case).

So, would doing some better cable management and adding another fan help? 

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:52 PM

Both of those will help. That may not be the complete solution. Go a step at a time until you get things where you want them.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

Put it this way, poor airflow through the case caused by cables obstructing airflow certainly doesn't help.  A front fan directly cools HDD's (which is a good thing) and draws in more cool air from outside the case.  If doing these things drop your case and CPU temperatures even by a few degrees it's a win.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:25 PM

You are running an AMD quad @3.4GHz.  AMDs run hotter than Intel - they always have. Every computer I have ever built over 15 years is an AMD and they all run hotter than an Intel chip. I have an older AMD quad in my present box that defaults to 3.0GHz, and I overclocked it to 3.4 and now it runs at 50°C idle. I also went with liguid cooling and that knocked several degrees off. Liquid coolers now are as cheap as air, and far more efficient and quiet. I now build only with liquid cooling, I will never use air again. Just a thought.  75°C is a bit high under load, but modern CPUs can go as high a 90° and not melt down. I am not suggesting you allow that high, I am just setting parameters.

Edited by ranchhand_, 16 August 2014 - 10:29 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

You are running an AMD quad @3.4GHz.  AMDs run hotter than Intel - they always have. Every computer I have ever built over 15 years is an AMD and they all run hotter than an Intel chip. I have an older AMD quad in my present box that defaults to 3.0GHz, and I overclocked it to 3.4 and now it runs at 50°C idle. I also went with liguid cooling and that knocked several degrees off. Liquid coolers now are as cheap as air, and far more efficient and quiet. I now build only with liquid cooling, I will never use air again. Just a thought.  75°C is a bit high under load, but modern CPUs can go as high a 90° and not melt down. I am not suggesting you allow that high, I am just setting parameters.

Apologies for going off-topic for a minor point...but actually...I think that you have it backwards :).

I've used AMD CPUs almost exclusively and...if you check out the specs for the thermal ceilings (max temperature)...you will see that, although each processor is somewhat different..;.it's the Intel processors which generally have the higher ceilings (up to 102 Celsius), while the AMD CPUs generally have max temps of no more than 72 Celsius.

The inference is that the Intel CPUs can certainly run at higher temps than AMD CPUs, IMO...and are more likely to do so.  I've looked at a large number of CPU temps and looked up the max temps for any number of CPUs where data here was posted via Speccy...I think your assertion goes against the grain.  You can find the max operating temps for just about any CPU...at the cpu-world website, for one.

Louis

#10 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

Just a little update. I was able to control fan speed through the ATI Catalyst Control Center. I noticed fan speed was at 34% so bumped it to 90%. Now running at 165 degree as before was at 180+

Tom

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

@hamluis..... Well, you have a right to your opinion and I to mine. :)  That has been my experience in realtime building for 13 years so many units I lost count at a dozen starting with the famous Thunderbird AMD chip @ 1.2GHz, then the Barton at 2.0GHZ  and forward to my present Phenom II X4 940 currently running O/clocked to 3.4GHz @ 51 °C on idle. My case has an LED readout with a probe centered on the chip so I can see instantly what it is doing at the moment, and that is with liquid cooling. Chip surface temp is not core temp readout, I understand, but my Open Hardware utility running in the sytem tray is within 3 degrees of the LED readout, so I feel that is a reasonable difference. I tried everything short of back handsprings to get those things (including my present)  to run as cool as the equivalent-speed Intel chips and failed.
And most of the folks on forums that I have read agree that their units run hotter than Intels. For 15 years I have modded on another forum helping posters, I am MCP certified and have been in the field that long. An AMD chip is going to run hotter. Now...if Intel changed its engineering within the last year or so, I may be wrong since I retired and am on a budget now, and haven't built in the last 10 months. If so, then I stand to be corrected. Otherwise.... :)

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users