Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 on 32 gb mSATA

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 clarkrpierce

clarkrpierce

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

Excuse my noobness... 

I currently have a Dell XPS 15 L521x with a 32 gb mSATA and 750 HDD. The mSATA is used for Intel's rapid start technology. I've read of various people upgrading the mSATA to a larger size and booting from it. Is it necessary to upgrade the size? Could I boot and run windows off of my current 32 gb mSATA and still have access to the 750 gb HDD? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pocket Pocket

Pocket Pocket

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

Hi clarkpierce! :)

32GB is way too small for installing Windows 7 there... System + updates + any software + Application data will exceed the 32GB limit very quickly. In my opinion - 60GB is a minimum.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:01 AM

Agree with Pocket Pocket re size of Windows partition for Win 7.

Win 7 and apps, updates itself can probably get by with a 50GB partition, IME, but problems will arise for those who store data files on the Windows partition (needlessly).  The more data files, the more room required for storage and I would suggest that a separate partition be created for storing data files, rather than dumping them on the C: partition.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users