Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Downloads on Win 7 All Browsers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dr Syn

Dr Syn

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:31 PM

I'm having a problem downloading on Win 7.  It doesn't matter which browser I use, the downloads are agonizingly slow. The problem doesn't seem to be in the internet connection itself.  I'm using ATT as an isp; using both their broadband speed test, and another one, I'm averaging 12mbs! (It can vary widely, but that's an average.)  Web pages display quickly enough, but downloads take hours.  I tried to download 1 gig, and it took 8 hours!!

Now, here's the curious part:  the problem is occurring on my new machine, which I built myself; but my old machine (a 10 year old HP with 2 gigs of ram and and a 1 core processor) can download that same file, using the same browser, ip, router, etc in 1 hour!!

It hardly requires an advanced degree in forensics to discern the problem is somewhere in the configuration of Win 7, but I'm damned if I can figure it out. (Building a computer is easy; configuring it could give Stephen Hawking a head ache.)

Here are the specs on the build:

I5 processor

MSI Z87-G45 mobo

MSI R9 270 GPU

16 Gigs ram

Linksys AE2500 network adaptor

AVAST internet suite

If anyone can provide assistance, I would be appreciative and even say nice things about you.

Edited by hamluis, 16 August 2014 - 01:10 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:43 AM

Does it DL adequately on Ethernet?

#3 Dr Syn

Dr Syn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

I didn't even instaqll an ethernet card.  (I mean that's so 20th century, so analog--a cable?  Ewww!!!)

But I did notice something odd.  Even though I scanned multiple times with Malwarebytes and Avast, there were only a couple of minor adware infections that I quarantined.

However, in the control panel I see a network connection labeled YOUR-4F1261A8E5.  I shows the same connection as my pc, but I can't get any info on it.  It won't open up, I can't get properties, and when I google this, I get references to a trojan.  I wouldn't think a trojan would do this, but whatever is causing it, I can't seem to get rid of it.

Any suggestions?

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

I apologize for insulting you by suggesting a valid troubleshooting technique, my bad.

Next suggestion is for this thread to be moved to the Am I Infected forum.

Good luck.

Edited by ElfBane, 16 August 2014 - 01:05 PM.

#5 Dr Syn

Dr Syn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

I hadn't noticed your screen name was Elfbane.  I'm only familiar with wolfsbane, and at that only from the Universal horror movies I watched as a child.

As it turns out, I did have an infection. tovi.a.  After using three viral scanners, I finally got rid of it, but that icon in the networks is still there, and I still can't get rid of it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

#6 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:08 PM

I'm not qualified to post in this forum. A malware expert will be with you eventually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users