Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB 3 Slow Transfer Speeds... Where's the Issue?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Punkrulz

Punkrulz

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

Some information to start:

My Setup

Intel Core i5-2500k Sandy Bridge (3.3/3.7GHz)

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 Motherboard

8gb DDR3-1600 Memory

Windows 7 Professional x64

My Mission

Two users requested that I save their information off of one SATA drive onto their external backup drives. Both external drives were USB 3 Seagate Backup Plus Slim's. I at least remember the main one was a 1TB drive. That users' SATA drive was a Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 750gb drive from an eMachines computer.

The first setup I didn't notice much of the speeds, but when I began trying to copy the second users information I knew there was a problem. I was trying to copy approximately 86gb worth of data, mostly photographs organized into folders, from the SATA drive to their backup drive. The transfer rate on average was 20mb/s. I began researching this issue and had seen that USB 3 is very heavily dependent on the drivers that you use.

I first started by updating the drivers for my USB 3 bus, since they hadn't been used in forever.I believe the Gigabyte board uses ETron drivers? So I downloaded those, applied, restarted and didn't see a difference. I then finally went ahead and updated my BIOS to their F10 version, which even indicates USB3 speed increase... that didn't help out at all.

Can you guys help me figure out what's missing, or if this is really what the speed is supposed to be? I'll answer all questions I possibly can.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

It's might be a silly question, but are you definitely using a blue USB 3.0 port on the computer?  And connecting it using a USB 3.0 cable?  Also lots of small files like that always transfer at a lower rate.  If you go down to extremes like tens of thousands of files of only a few kb each it will drop to very slow overall transfer rates of just a few mb/s - if that.  What transfer rate do you get on a large file, say a few Gb in size?

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Punkrulz

Punkrulz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:42 PM

Jonuk, it's a fair question. I am using a blue USB3 port, and in fact through a USB tree viewer confirmed that the drive was in fact connected to a USB 3 port. It is a front port, and unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try a rear port. I didn't get a chance to try and copy a large file either, but I'll see if I can find something good to use.

Another thing that's of concern right now is that I'm trying to transfer my Adobe download files from my D Sata drive to my C SSD drive... and while it started at 1 MB/s, it's now 3 MB/s...

Something seems off there. That's only like 8gb. Any hard drive utilities that I can download to try and maybe scan the drive, see if it's dying?

Per the USB 3 issue, most of the files were 2mb pictures rooted through a lot of folders. I wasn't sure if that was specifically causing the problem but I figure that it would've been faster than it was.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:19 PM

Yes 20Mb files are not that small, so I think it probably should be capable of reaching a higher speed than it is.

TBH, on reflection it needn't be a massive multi gigabyte file, a few video files or something should be enough to allow it to get up to a reasonable speed while copying.  To give a comparison, I just moved four video files of approximately 750mb each to my external USB 3.0 drive (a 3Gb Samsung D3) from a 2Tb Seagate internal HDD, and Windows reported the speed at roughly 150 MB/s.  The same Samsung D3 drive connected to an older PC, which only has USB 2.0 ports underperforms, struggling to do 30 MB/s, more often 20.

A good diagnostic tool to check for disk errors is Seatools which works with all brands, but has extended info on Seagate/Samsung HDD's.

A couple of disk benchmark's I know of that might be useful:

CrystalDiskMark

ATTO Disk Benchmark

HD Tune (which includes some diagnostic tools also)

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Punkrulz

Punkrulz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:08 PM

So I tried running some of the tests, but they were somewhat foreign to me. I guess that's because I don't know the stats I should be looking for to see if there's a problem (or what the appropriate transfer rates and what not should be).

On the plus side I followed your other recommendation. I attempted to copy an ISO I have to the external USB3 drive... one continuous file, no folder browsing, etc. It skyrocketed to about 130mb/s, and towards the end slowed down significantly as i expected (only at very end, only to about 60mb/s). I guess the USB itself is fine, and that my problem was the numerous folders that the transfer had to go through. 

I ran the seagate tests on my SATA drive and that didn't seem to report anything wrong either. Thanks Jonuk!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users