Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying A Laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nsure

nsure

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

Hello, I've been looking around for high performance laptops and I have narrowed down to these three:

HP Pavilion 17-e049wm - AMD A10
Acer V5-552P-X637 - AMD A10

Toshiba Satellite S55-A5176 - Intel i7

I don't mind buying it refurbished.

One thing I have been wondering about was the performance differences between the Intel i7-4700MQ and AMD A10-5750m. I did search around and many say the i7 is significantly faster and I don't game so that wouldn't be a concern. Overall, I need help choosing between the three in regards to having the upper hand performance wise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:04 AM

The advantage of going with the i7 over the A10 would be hyperthreading.  Intel's hyperthreading allows your operating system to see the four core CPU as an eight core CPU.  No matter what you use your computer for better performance will be better performance.  Provided that the RAM in both machines is the same the i7 should give you better performance.  However, if the A10 machine had 8GB of RAM and the i7 4GB the A10 would probably perform better.

The real question is what do you do on the computer?

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:14 AM

Hi

FWIW Kilroy's advice is spot on. I like the Intel CPUs and in most cases they run cooler. I have an Acer Laptop, Lenovo, and Toshiba Laptop. The Toshiba having been delivered with XP or Vista and the Acer when 7 came out.

In the USA Lenovo has a very nice repair network established if it is ever needed. As Does Dell, The Toshiba Repair network falls a little behind the Lenovo and Dell. We all hope never to need them but good support is very important if it is ever needed.

the Toshiba does show this

• Laptop summary
  • Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor
  • Windows 8.1
  • 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz memory
  • Intel® Integrated Graphics
  • 750 GB (5400rpm, Serial ATA)
  • DVD-SuperMulti drive (+/-R double layer)

BTW You can order a custom version from Toshiba wit a bigger hard drive and 16GB Ram and Windows 8.1 pro that allows downgrading to Windows 7.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Libyan expert

Libyan expert

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

for me Acer V5-552P-X637 - AMD A10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users