Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Norton Security 2005

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sammyd

sammyd

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 02:51 PM

hi wondered if anybody can help me. im having trouble with my norton security 2005, running it on XP. i recently bought the update and once id updated it, the antivirus section of the program was telling me there were errors with it and they recommended i uninstall and reinstall the program. i tried and had trouble doing it.

then i found the SymNRT removal tool but when i go to run it, it says - 'SymNRT : invalid signature, this file is not signed so it won't run' any ideas why its saying this and what i can do??

(also now when i sign into my user account on the xp welcome screen it takes ages to log me in, could this be linked or a different problem?)

iv tried system restore, to try and go back to before the update but when i click system restore all that comes up is a blank window and system restore doesnt work. id really appreciate any help at all

cheers. sam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:41 AM

Hello Sammy,

If you are trying to uninstall your Norton product and then reinstall it, there is a pinned topic about it at the top of this forum. Here is the link to that thread. I read over it, and it seems very comprehensive. It may answer many of your questions and give you the tools you need to complete the uninstall:

How to Uninstall Norton

I hope this helps your out :thumbsup:
--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

#3 sammyd

sammyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:55 PM

thanks, id read that before but forgot about it :thumbsup: i managed to uninstall all the norton files and have now reinstalled it.

iv got a new problem though, seems simple but im not sure how to fix it. the secuity blocks everything i try to do, such as log onto msn explorer and things like that. when the norton box comes up with 'permit always.....(recommended)' 'block always..' etc, i click the recommended but it just keeps popping up. in the end i have to turn the security off. any ideas how to sort this?

thanks for sorting my main problem though :flowers:

#4 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 04:55 PM

Switch from an over-priced Norton to a much better anti-virus application such as NOD32 or Kaspersky; both of which are cheaper and much more powerful. Or, you could switch to a free anti-virus program such as AVG which would deliver the same security if not better than Norton... but don't switch if you don't want to. This is just my advice being the anti-Norton I am.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#5 sammyd

sammyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 05:23 PM

cheers for ur reply i think i'll stick with norton for the time being considering iv just payed for the update. i think iv solved the problems now anyway, i just had to change the firewall settings to allow the programs norton was blocking to run

thanks

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:34 AM

Thank you for posting back with the solution to you problem. It may help another member with the same problem.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:24 AM

Also, despite what people say about Norton, it's by no means a bad product...is it the best? Well that one's up for debate, but if you have proper prevention measures in place on your system then you should never encounter any problems.

You'll be fine with Norton, but when your subscription runs out you may want to look into some powerful freeware AV programs, such as AVG, Antivir, Bitdefender Free, etc... This is of course, if you don't feel like paying the money. However, switching over can be a hassle too!

I'm glad you got your problems resolved :thumbsup:

Edited by Harry83, 05 June 2006 - 02:24 AM.

--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users