Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

prevent the windows 8.1 "upgrade" and the prompts for it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

Simple question about an issue that has been troubling me for a while now. Is there a way to prevent windows 8 from displaying those "upgrade to 8.1 now" prompts(the ones which only have, "do it now" and "bug me later" as options)  and also prevent it ever automatically making such an "upgrade". Judging by the threads on here that 8.1 "upgrade" causes numerous crashes, compatibility issues, failures and such. I spent rather a long time struggling to get certain programs (as in proper exe file programs, not silly apps) to run on windows 8 and don't want to do that again, nor do i want to "upgrade" to the microsoft account rather than my local account, which windows 8 seems to require. is there a method of stopping it? as i have discussed in a previous post, i don't seem to have gpedit.msc on my system nor do i have a certain registry thread which i was have heard can stop these prompts(naturally if i had found that thread i wouldn't have dared to touch it yet anyway).

thanks

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:03 PM

Try http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/37808-update-windows-8-1-store-prompt-enable-disable.html

I can't swear the solutions work but they're from a credible site.

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

thanks for the link.

option two requires registry string that i do not have, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore  does not exist on my system, the policies/microsoft "folder" does but the "windows store" folder does not. i don't know if adding if adding such a string into the registry would help but i know editing with the registry is like playing with fire, in a room filled with hydrogen. 

option 3 won't work as i have no gpedit.msc facility on my system.

option 1 might work but i don't know if the same update also contains some sort of important security or compatibility measure that i dare not remove. i've never even tried removing an update before and don't know if it would even succeed. if i did remove that update, if even possible, would it be possible to redo it if removing it either failed to stop these 8.1 prompts or if removing it lead to some other problem? 

does anyone KNOW (rather than hope)any methods of solving my issue here?one other thing, the screenshots shown in the link you gave me were not very similar to how these things appear on my laptop, i've been getting prompts pop up (in a similar way to uac popping up) asking me to upgrade which won't go away until i choose "do it now" or "bug me later", they seem to be discussing something which only appears in the app store (judging by the pics) and has a very different visual layout to mine.

thanks

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

If you are cagey about trying the first two options (and you should in the case of the registry), then the safe thing to do would be to backup your system first.  If it were me I'd try the registry edit but I'd ensure I create a restore point first or export the parent registry key.  I'm sorry but I'm on Windows 8.1 (which came with the computer) otherwise I'd have tried both options for you.  I guess there's risk both ways but if you are unwilling to try even after making backups then I have no further suggestions.

#5 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

thanks for your tips. does anyone know other ways, it is always good to have as many options as possible of doing it? or does anyone else have experience with trying the above methods?

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users