Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restart loop with BSOD

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Atok

Atok

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

Hello, I´m really bad at computer stuff so I´m completely lost at what to do, here´s the situation:

When I start my PC everything goes normally until the Windows logo appears, and starts "charging", then a BSOD appears, and nearly immediately the PC restarts, and the same happens again. After the first time it gives me the option to enter safe mode every time, which does not work either, same BSOD and restart.  

As I said the BSOD doesn´t stay there for long, but so far I´ve been able to see it saying something about win32k.sys and STOP: 0x00000050 with other parameters after that, the first one being (0xFFFFF901c0345584, ... ,...) I haven´t been able to read anything else, and I don´t want to restart it further as I´m afraid it could damage it or something (ignorance really, I have no idea what happens or what can happen).

Since I don´t know what is relevant or what is not, I won´t post a Wall of text saying random system things, if you need any information I can provide (remember I can´t enter Windows so not much), please ask for it.

Thanks in advance, cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

Have you tried booting to the last known good configuration?

When the computer boots, or reboots, hold down the F8 key, which should take you to the Advanced Boot Options. Select Last Known Good Configuration (advanced) and hit enter.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-last-known-good-configuration#1TC=windows-7

#3 bwhisnant

bwhisnant

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

This exact same thing just happened to my pc today. I cannot access safe mode or anything. could this be something to do with windows update?

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

Seeing how many people are posting with this exact same issue, I'm beginning to wonder that myself.

Are you using a video card, or the video adapter that is attached to the motherboard? This week was Patch Tuesday, when Microsoft begins to push out its updates. When did you download and install updates on your computer?

#5 bwhisnant

bwhisnant

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/users-find-fix-botched-kb-2982791-and-kb-2970228-windows-update-248476

Apparently it is a bad windows update. Great. The fix is deleting this file: c:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT

So how do I delete this file if I cannot get to anything? Any clues?

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

I would first try Last Good Configuration, if you can.

If that doesn't fix it, try to get to the windows recovery environment, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/11028.how-to-access-windows-recovery-environment-in-windows-7.aspx

and then from the command prompt, enter

del c:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT

#7 bwhisnant

bwhisnant

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

Yeah, last good configuration crashes the computer as well. Going to try deleting the file.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

....From the Microsoft Community....

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/blue-screen-stop-0x50-after-applying-update/6da4d264-02d8-458e-89e2-a78fe68766fd?page=1&tm=1408074004742

Appears to affect 64 bit systems only

Edited by Condobloke, 15 August 2014 - 07:40 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#9 bwhisnant

bwhisnant

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

I typed in the command in command prompt just as you said and it said "A device attached to the system is not functioning" and upon restart it is still having the same issues. I definitely believe this is the culprit but judging from that response, it did not delete the file. Am I correct in that assumption?

Edited by bwhisnant, 15 August 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

What letter is showing at the command prompt? Is it x:\? If so, try entering cd c:\ and then enter the command again.

#11 bwhisnant

bwhisnant

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

Do you mean type "cd c:\" then typing "del c:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT"? Or how exactly should I be inputting this? Any combination I tried did not work.

#12 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Type cd c:\, or just c: (without the cd before it), then hit enter. That should change the drive letter at the prompt to c:

Then, type del c:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT, and hit enter.

If that doesn't work, you may have to try booting from a DVD and accessing the command prompt from there.

#13 bwhisnant

bwhisnant

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:33 PM

Still getting a device attached to the system is not functioning. Is there any way for me to check the drive letter to confirm it is C? I am pretty sure it was C.

#14 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

If it's the only hard drive in your system, the default drive letter for the drive is c:, unless you changed it. Trying switching to the C: drive again at the command prompt, then type dir. It should give you a directory of the files in the C: drive (and confirm that is the actual hard drive letter).

That's a generic error code which usually indicates the device is not attached properly, or the driver may be malfunctioning. Try turning the computer off for a bit, then restarting it.

#15 bwhisnant

bwhisnant

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

It says "Volume in drive C has no label" I'm assuming that still confirms it is the correct drive letter, yes? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users