Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Physical purge, computer won't load up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EGates5760

EGates5760

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

While computer in use it started doing a physical purge by itself. Couldn't stop it and now when powered on doesn't load up, just makes whirr noise. Cannot turn off with power button.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EGates5760

EGates5760
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

How can I get it to load in safe mode or can I? So I can remove programs causing problems.

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

Safe mode... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/ .

#4 EGates5760

EGates5760
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

It does not boot up enough for anything to show on screen, it is black. The power lites are lit up on pc + monitor and all it does is slowly start a faint whirring sound that gets louder and that is all it does. But when power button pushed it will not power off, I have to power off at wall outlet.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

I do not understand what you mean by 'physical purge', but I think the first thing you have to do is determine if there is anything recognisable left on this computer. To do this you will need a self-booting or 'live' CD and I suggest you try Puppy Linux if you can get access to another computer. You can get it for free from here, along with instructions on how to make a self-booting CD :

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Power up the computer, put the disc in the CD/DVD drive, power down and re-boot and it should boot from the disc.

On the Puppy desktop you will see icons for all the drives attached to the computer as well as a file manager similar to Windows Explorer. You will need to click - or RIGHT click - on each drive and select 'Mount' to make each drive active then you will be able to see what, if anything, is on them. This will also allow you to salvage your data, if it is still there, to an external drive.

If you are lucky, you may merely have damaged your Windows O/S and a 'Repair install' should solve your problems. If you are less lucky, you may have lost everything on this computer. In which case your only cure will be a complete fresh install of Windows. If you are about to have a really bad day, the possibility exists that you have 'bricked' this computer. However, when you get into it with Puppy you will know more.

Post back, and include details of this computer such as make and model.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 EGates5760

EGates5760
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

I can't remember exactly what the screen said it's been a few months since it did it. It may have said "physical dump" or something like that. I'll try what you have suggested and update you when I try it. Thank you very much for your time and help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users