Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I crash XP without it being obvious

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 dynamyque1

dynamyque1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

My IT department furnished me with a new hp laptop but retrofitted it with xp (came installed with windows 7).  They wont install  7 on the machine UNLESS the OS crashes i.e. blue screen etc..

I would just install myself but we have audits and they will throw a tantrum if they see Ive done it without their consent.  So, how can I crash xp whereas to make it inoperable and require a re install of an OS without it being obvious that I initiated the crash?

Ive been using 7 for years now and having to work on xp these last few weeks has been agonizing.  

Thanks for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 McSheHe

McSheHe

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:24 AM

Are we all exempt from getting in trouble for assisting with something like this? lol

#3 dynamyque1

dynamyque1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:28 AM

If you dont tell i wont

#4 McSheHe

McSheHe

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

#winkface

How far do you think they will go to try and resolve the OS issue? There's a way to make the PC not able to boot to windows at all but a simple system restore would bring it back. Unless System Protection was to turn itself off....

#5 dynamyque1

dynamyque1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

I've been told by the person i report to that if there is an issue that requires a fresh install, he will instruct IT to install 7.  Just being able to reboot from a recovery disk will probably not be enough

#6 dynamyque1

dynamyque1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

would it be obvious if someone turned System Protection off?

#7 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

To all readers:

Hi dynamyque

Discussing such is in violation of BC policy

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

From the BC Rules.