Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about GPU, PSU, and overheating.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Zerithan

Zerithan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:50 AM

Hi! First post here on this lovely forum.

Recently at the start of this summer my computer would randomly shut down during any type of semi-intensive gaming (Skyrim on high, fallout NV, League of legends). No warning just everything would shut off. During that time it was around 90 degrees outside so I let the incident slide hoping that it was a one time occurrence. Unfortunately it was not and my computer hardly goes a day without having this issue even in comfortable weather and a heavy fan blowing at it. but enough story time here are the specs :)

Edit: I feel like my post doesn't have a real question, Should I buy a new GPU or is there something else I can do? I've heard PSU's can possibly cause these problems but I'm not sure. 

Windows 7 (64 bit)

Dell XPS 8300 (2010)

Intel® Core i5-2300 CPU @2.8 GHz 

6 GB ram

AMD Radeon HD 6450 (no heat sink just single fan)

I also downloaded CPuid to find my temperatures. 

This is not stress data, so nothing running but chrome to type this and control panel to copy my info. As an example while playing any semi-intensive game I end up with 90-100 degree gpu. 

Things I have tried:

Making sure the fans are spinning. I do feel cool air exiting the machine.

Cleaning out my rig with a air can.

I appreciate the help :) thank you a lot.  

(again I'm new if I forgot anything let me know and I'll give you those specs) 

Attached Files

Edited by Zerithan, 15 August 2014 - 01:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

Hi,

Looking at the various voltages I see a number of them are low. This can cause problems. If this is not a laptop I'd recommend a new power supply. If it's a laptop it needs professional help.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users