Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway Laptop frequently crashing on startup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mel0n

Mel0n

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:54 AM

Hi all,

I've recently returned from a 10-day vacation, to find that my laptop is having a pretty serious issue. It may be important to note that prior to leaving it 'off' for 10 days, this had never happened.

My laptop specs are shown in one of the screenshots.

From the point of powering on the laptop, to about 5 minutes after logging in successfully (it seems to be random when it occurs,) the laptop will just power down and restart itself. (edit: it happens sometimes during windows load, sometimes post log-in)

The strange thing is, it seems that after it passes around that 5 minute mark, it will stay on indefinitely with no problems.

One more thing to note, after it entered hibernation last night, this problem resumed upon trying to start it up.

I ran startup recovery this morning, along with the memory check, to no avail. The following 2 screenshots are the info I grabbed from them that seemed like they may be useful (though maybe not.)

I've also thoroughly sprayed a ton of compressed air into the laptop as a first resort yesterday.

Thanks so much for any help that may be provided. I'll be checking back frequently to do as you guys say.

Attached Files

Edited by Mel0n, 15 August 2014 - 12:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:51 AM

First thing I would try is disable any/all Hibernation or Sleep schemes. Set the lappy to High or Balanced power scheme and reboot the lappy. See what happens.

It appears you tried a System Restore, how did that work out?

#3 Mel0n

Mel0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

Actually the system restore was suggested by the repair tool, but I canceled it since there have been no software changes since it was last working properly. Should I try to use it anyways?

My Laptop is always set to balanced power scheme. Should I try 'high'?

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

Yes, I would try High. With the power scheme set to High the lappy shouldn't even turn off the screen. But it should still sleep if the top is closed.

Bring it up in Hi and let it stabilize and run for a couple of hours (have it run a mildly taxing screensaver). If it runs without incident, then close the lid... it should sleep. Let it sleep for an hour or so, then see if it wakes up without incident.

Edited by ElfBane, 15 August 2014 - 02:05 PM.

#5 Mel0n

Mel0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

Been away from the house, will do this and report back with update. Thank you :)

edit: Just to clarify, is this basically an interim solution to stop it from having to shut down? It won't actually fix the problem, will it?

Edited by Mel0n, 17 August 2014 - 08:36 AM.

#6 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:58 PM

I'm trying to determine if the problem is related to the Power Management. What I'm trying to find is a work-around that you can live with. But you are correct that I don't think it can be fixed unless you wish to undergo the expense of a new MB.

#7 Mel0n

Mel0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:22 AM

Damn, I was thinking that it was a power issue. So far so good with what you said, though.

#8 Mel0n

Mel0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:47 AM

I basically haven't turned my computer off since you gave me that advice. Is there anything else I should be doing to prolong it's life at this point?

#9 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:53 AM

Well, I suspect the power management chipset on the MB has failed or the CPU is starting to die. But it's possible it's software related. You can try a Repair Install of the OS. This re-installs the critical files but does not erase personal data. The tutorial can be found here ... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-a-windows-system-repair-disc/ .

#10 Mel0n

Mel0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

Thanks again for this, I'll try it. If nothing changes, should I avoid turning my PC off for as long as possible, or what do you think?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

I had a problem similar to this but it was a modem. I had a DSL modem that was rock solid for years. It was on 24/7. Then I had a power outage that lasted a day. When the power came on the modem would power on but was not working as it should. All lights remained solid. But, when I left the modem on for a few hours to warm it up then powered off and on, it started normally. It seems that warming up the circuits in the modem helped. If the modem is not turned off, it works fine, but if it loses power for an extended period of time, I have to let it warm up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users