Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gameplay stutters on my Laptop [Sager 7330]

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 imjerdev

imjerdev

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:47 PM

I have a DigitalStorm Veloce laptop that costed me about $1,777. 
All my games, especially Heroes and Generals have such low fps [around 20-30], and on top of that, stuttering. The stuttering is like a slight pause every half-second or so. Any help?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8x4nzkrk988f5e/Screenshot%202014-08-14%2018.15.31.png 

I don't trust HWMonitor's numbers as the shutdown point for the CPU is 100C, and yet it's showing temps of 90-100C, hence the SpeedFan next to it [which reports 80C temps] 

And then again, same stuttering and low fps. 
Note though, when I initially spawned, gameplay was really smooth, no stuttering, and around 60fps. But then after a minute, it starts stuttering and getting low 20-30fps

Anyways, here are the specs: 
System Configuration: 
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Veloce 13.3 Inch Laptop (Model: S:7330:765M) 
Display: 13.3 Inch Wide Angle (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) (Anti-glare) LED-Backlit Display 
Processor: Intel Core i7 4800MQ (Up to 3.70Ghz) (Quad Core) (6MB Cache) 
Thermal Compound: Premium CPU and GPU Thermal Compound (Reduces Thermal & Laptop Noise) 
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz (2x8GB Sticks) 
Primary Hard Drive: - No Thanks 
Secondary Hard Drive: 240GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Neutron GTX Series) (SATA 6Gbps) 
Optical Drive: Option Not Available 
Wireless Card: Killer Wireless-N 1202 Wireless LAN + Bluetooth 4.0 Module <b></b> 
Video Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M 2GB with NVIDIA Optimus 
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) 
Recovery Tools: Advanced Recovery Kit (40GB Hard Drive Partition of Image With OS & Drivers) 
Virus Protection: - No Thanks 
Office Suite: - No Thanks 
Game: - No Thanks 
Cooling Pad: - No Thanks 
Extra Charger: - No Thanks 
Extra Battery: - No Thanks 
Audio: - No Thanks 
Mouse: - No Thanks 
T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Medium) 
Warranty Plan: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:33 PM

Welcome,

My first guess with a stutter is that your Internet connection speed isn't keeping up with your game play.

My second thought is that being connected to the Internet without protection is a sure route to infection

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 imjerdev

imjerdev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

Welcome,

My first guess with a stutter is that your Internet connection speed isn't keeping up with your game play.

My second thought is that being connected to the Internet without protection is a sure route to infection

Keep us posted

My internet is fine. It does this even while offline gameplay, could it be my CPU is getting too hot?

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

Hi,

Yes, a hot CPU will cause problems and extended periods of overheating will kill the CPU

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 imjerdev

imjerdev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:08 PM

Hi, I just applied a new thermal paste on both the GPU and CPU. [oh and there was quite a bit of dust block airflow in the heatsink, so i removed almost all of it, so maybe that played a part?]
The gameplay stopped having those stutters! But oddly enough the temperatures stayed roughly the same, if not just wee bit worse? 
Upon boot, temperatures were 67C-72C (minimum), and during gameplay temperatures were 99C-100C (maximum). 

The compound I used were Antec Formula 6, and I followed this video on Youtube () since this would be my first time applying [and it was intimidating! Scared I would destroy something].

Edited by imjerdev, 16 August 2014 - 11:31 PM.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:28 PM

With temperatures like that I would look at getting a cooling pad or some other assistance for your system. Running any of the components at or near max will destroy the component and have a negative effect on others.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#7 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:09 PM

What are your ambient temps? 67c at startup is too high for me.

Edited by Zerue, 17 August 2014 - 10:10 PM.

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users