Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nearly all games locking up after short periods of gaming.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OverclockedKitty

OverclockedKitty

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:33 PM

Hey guys, I have tried everything I can think of, but my boyfriend's computer continues to freeze up during games. Battlefield 4, Borderlands 2, Saints Row, Trine, State of Decay, Unturned, Ace Combat Nearly everything. Sometimes Alt-tabbing right when it happens will avoid needing a hard-shutdown, and can end task in the task manager. I have clean installed the drivers, reinstalled windows,  replaced the hard drive. I have done stress tests on the RAM, CPU and GPU, Nothing heated up to a bad level, Everything was fine. I am clueless at this point. I did try putting the 3 RAM sticks I have in to the other channel, I normally have it 010101, 4GB each, but when I put 101010 it wont boot up, just black screen, I dont know if that could be related. There was an incident with some soda getting dumped in it, I did a good cleaning of it and it has been working fine for the last year even after that, but maybe it's getting up with it? Would a problem with the motherboard/ram slots/ram cause it to simply freeze in games, but not lock up the computer? I really hope someone can help...

Windows 8.1
12gb RAM
Intel i7 960
nVidia GTX 660

850 Watt PSU

Edited by OverclockedKitty, 14 August 2014 - 11:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:03 AM

1. If your overclocked, back it off.

2. Turn off, or pause, your AV.

3. Shut down all non-essential background processes/programs.

See how it runs.

#3 OverclockedKitty

OverclockedKitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:49 AM

It's not overclocked at all, There is no AV running, and I have turned off anything unessential from booting in msconfig. No change.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

Then I don't know. Has the PC always been this way, or is this behavior recent? If the PC has always done this then I would suspect the Front Side Bus of the MB as being too slow or faulty. Also, if all of the RAM sticks aren't the same manufacturer and/or the same clock speed then problems can happen under load.

P.S. Try this... if all of the RAM is the same, OR if two of the sticks are the same, try using just 8GB of RAM and see if it makes a difference.

#5 OverclockedKitty

OverclockedKitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:57 PM

It started a couple months ago, All the ram is the same, I guess I will just start replacing the parts, You're probably right about the mobo being faulty.. Hooray for expenditure! Thanks for the help ElfBane! It's really appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users