Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer asking to reformat Sandisk cruzer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 te82

te82

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:46 PM

I plugged in my 64 gb flash drive and the computer ask me to format it.  I have about 6 gb of data on it.  I did not format it.  I tried several online data recovery tools with no luck.  When I go into disk management it is only showing as a 32 gb drive and all space is unallocated and raw data.  I booted with parted magic and ran testdisk but it didn't find any partitions.  For the last few weeks I have been getting a message when the flash drive was insert to scan it for issues.  I would click on "continue without scanning".

Any suggestions on what to try next.  Running windows 7.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:12 AM

It is possible that your flash drive might have suffered firmware corruption. As you have already attempted to use data recovery applications but not able to retrieve your files since it could not detect the volume/partition of the flash drive then I think the best chance you have left is a data recovery service facility. I have used WeRecoverData in past in similar cases like this, and so far have got promising results. Losing an important data is such a headache and a PITA. That is why it is always suggested that you always have backup copies of your important files to multiple media as possible to avoid data loss when cases like this happens.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users