Hi, and thanks for your help, in advance.
I have a nearly brand new Dell computer with Windows 8.1
I was instructed to create a new topic from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/544054/odd-entries-in-security-logs-of-event-viewer-infection-or-windows-8-oddity/#entry3448091
I had noticed odd entries in my event viewer Security log, attempts were made to query a blank password for my accounts. That was the initial post. I believe this to have been resolved. However, I would like someone to take a deeper look, because...
While setting up this computer, I had gone to download Avast! but my trial McAfee said that it found a trojan (avast!.exe) 3 times. I allowed it to run, but found that I now had AVG, not avast!. This disturbed me, although the program seemed to be the actual antivirus and not anything weird, but I did a "system refresh" from the factory restore partition.
Here is a list of the apps removed during system refresh:
App name Publisher Version
Adobe Flash Player 14 Plugin Adobe Systems Incorporated 220.127.116.11
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161 Microsoft Corporation 9.0.30729.6161
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161 Microsoft Corporation 9.0.30729.6161
Mozilla Firefox 31.0 (x86 en-US) Mozilla 31.0
Mozilla Maintenance Service Mozilla 31.0
OpenOffice 4.1.0 Apache Software Foundation 4.10.9764
Spybot - Search & Destroy Safer-Networking Ltd. 2.4.40
Visual Studio 2012 x64 Redistributables AVG Technologies 18.104.22.168
Visual Studio 2012 x86 Redistributables AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. 22.214.171.124
Thursday, August 7, 2014 9:32 AM
The computer is now running okay with firefox, avast!, malwarebytes, malwarebytes anti-rootkit, and CCleaner. I had Spybot but I then switched to malwarebytes, and used CCleaner to clean up some of the reg edits left by Spybot, which I realize now may not have been a good idea.
But, there are some issues:
In network discovery I occasionally see unknown phones connect VERY BRIEFLY to my network. Also, the title of Firefox tabs occasionally changes to "Connecting" for no reason. My local user "Snap-In" does not work, although it did before the system refresh. Avast! says it blocked 1 virus (won't tell me what) and it also can't seem to update Chrome for me.
Most annoying, my internet randomly goes to "Limited" and will not find any network to connect to (Ethernet works), although my Android phone has no problem.
I was not able to run DDS, I got the error:
"DDS is not meant to run in 'Compatibility Mode'.
The program shall now exit."
Thank you much.