Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Error 80070490 - Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Kim_W

Kim_W

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

I have been receiving this windows update error 80070490 since January. I am at a loss as to what to do. I have been reading up on all that I can find about this particular error, and it may be due to registry errors, or a corrupt file, but I just don't know where to begin. I am hoping that someone might be able to help me resolve this issue. I am also unable to do a system restore, I get an error also. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

An explaination on what it is, and how to address it: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-error-80070490#1TC=windows-7

#3 Kim_W

Kim_W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

Thank you very much for responding.. I will give this a try. Hopefully I can get this resolved..  :)

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:25 AM

Hello there Kim_W - did you ever get a fix for this?

Did the link help?

Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#5 Kim_W

Kim_W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:34 PM

​Hello there Winterland.. Unfortunately I never did get a fix for this. I tried the link, but it did not fix the problem. I hate to have to wipe everything out, and start over, so right now I am still waiting/hoping that I run across something that will take care of this problem.  :)  

Kim

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

Try opening a command prompt, Start, type cmd in the search bar, right-click on the command window icon and select Run as administrator. Type in sfc /scannow. If it reports it found errors it can't fix, post back.

#7 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:48 AM

Hey there Kim, thanks for getting back to me.

I think I've been stumbling around too many parts of the Forum.  :crazy:

I'd been posting over here and thought that perhaps your issue was related to what was happening with my wife's laptop. I managed to solve that issue soon after this but the way I went about it ( /flushdns ) will, most likely, not work here.

The upside is that sflatechguy is here and I'm guessing he will be able to resolve your issue without having to wipe everything out.

You're in good hands with AllState...uh, I mean sflatechguy:lol:

See you in the Forums.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#8 Kim_W

Kim_W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:29 PM

Hey Winterland.. I am so glad that you got your issue resolved! I am hoping that I can get mine resolved soon. I'm sure that I will be seeing you around.  :)

#9 Kim_W

Kim_W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

Thanks for responding sflatechguy.. I did run the sfc/scannow a couple of weeks ago, and it did find errors, but they were repaired. I ran the scan again just now, and no errors were found. I am at a loss as to what to do. This issue has been going on for almost 8 months, and I just can't get it resolved. I have tried all of the fixes that I have read about, but nothing seems to work. 

Kim        

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:54 PM

Is the inability to install updates the only issue you are having with your system? Everything else seems to be working?

Just to rule out issues with the hard drive sectors, go to the command prompt again and type in chkdsk /f. Report back on the results. If that doesn't fix it, there's one more thing we can probably try.

#11 Kim_W

Kim_W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

I ran the chkdsk/f, and everything was ok. I have also tried to do a system restore several times, hoping that might work, but I am unable to do that as well. Every time I try, I get an error message. Thanks so much for your help, I appreciate you trying to help me figure this out.

Kim

#12 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:01 PM

Do you remember the error message you received when you tried to do a system restore?

Also, do you know if you have the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Vista? What service pack, if any, is installed? To check this, press the Windows and the Pause/Break keys at the same time. The information will be listed under Windows Edition and System sections. Also, what make and model of computer do you have? Please post all of that here.

#13 Kim_W

Kim_W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:25 PM

No I can't remember the error message that I received, I don't think there was a number in the error message, it said something like system restore was unable to restore your computer to an earlier date/time, would you like to choose a different restore point. I tried several different restore points, but none of them would work. I have the 32-bit version of Vista, with Service Pack 2 installed. My laptop is an HP Pavilion dv9925nr.

#14 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

It sounds like your system files are damaged or corrupted to the point where you will have to do a system restore. Here are the instructions on how to do that on an HP Pavilion, provided it came with Vista installed and was not upgraded from Windows XP. Note that you can either back up your important files to a flash drive or external hard drive before you do this, and wipe everything completely, or you can choose the backup option and the system restore process will save them on the computer. Scroll down for instructions on how to do that.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00809678&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

#15 Kim_W

Kim_W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

Thank you so much for all of your help! I appreciate it very much. Hopefully my issues will be resolved after the system restore is completed.  :)

Kim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users