Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing CPU Fan

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Goomba

Goomba

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

Hello.

I currently have an Acer Aspire X3950 as the living room computer, and the fan recently started making extremely annoying buzzing sounds. After taking the case off and cleaning the whole computer, it didn't make a difference.

So, when replacing a fan, what should I look into? I can't find the exact stock fan that this computer uses. Would any fan work as long as it's the same size? For example, if my fan was 100mm, would just ANY 100mm suffice?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

In order to select the correct fan, you need to know what kind of CPU socket the motherboard uses. You'll have to do some research on that -- in your case, it looks like a LGA1156 socket, but you should double-check that. Then, look for fans that fit that type of socket, and make sure the fan's power connector is compatible with the motherboard.

#3 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

Stock Intel fans on Intel heatsinks are not replaceable, The fan is mounted in a way that it cannot be replaced. You'll need to look at a heatsink/fan from another source. Newegg has a very good selection of socket 1156 heatsink/fans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users