Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macrium Reflect Free Edition 5.3 Build 7134

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 woolie

woolie

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

Has anyone here tested and / or used this FREEWARE:

i came across this post for it...

MEDIA & MORE VIA THE LINK BELOW...
macrium-reflect-free.jpg

Create an exact image of partitions on your hard disk in order to easily recover from system failures without loosing important data

Macrium Reflect Free Edition is a handy tool designed to create backups of your disk partitions in order to protect yourself from data loss. You can use it to restore your disks to a previous state in case of a hardware failure.

<snip>

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/Macrium-Reflect-Free-Edition.shtml

Please advise... Many Thanks in advance  :)

Edited by Orange Blossom, 15 November 2015 - 11:25 PM.
Edited to comply with fair use rules. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

I use it all the time. It's one of the fastest imaging programs out there.

It also lets you create a WinPE bootable disk with a small download. This will let you restore the image on a computer that does not boot because of malware or a bad disk. The WinPE disk also lets you back up offline but every image I have created inside of Windows has not failed.

The free edition only lets you do partition and disk backups.

#3 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

I've been using Macrium Free version for about 9 months with good results.  I like its user interface setup screens so I prefer Macrium for my Imaging tasks. 

I use another paid product for most of my cloning since it clones faster than Macrium but I've also cloned with Macrium to verify the process.

Imaging speed, agree with JohnC_21.  Macrium's Imaging speed outperforms my paid product's speed.

#4 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

Facts:

1.  The link provided by woolie was:

http://download1us.softpedia.com/dl/e30872322c1f0729fab353253f6ca291/53ec8727/100134130/software/system/backup/reflect_setup_free_x86.exe

2.  (RED FLAG) Immediately a message is displayed on the screen of "Redirecting to correct download page..."  This makes the link and file suspicious.

3.  (RED FLAG) The download file size from Softpedia is around 47.2MB (x86) or 49.3MB (x64).  See next item.

4.  (RED FLAG) The file download size, when going through Macrium and using their installer is about 2.2MB.  This file is a stub, that downloads the files from Macrium.  Once downloaded, there are two files created, neither with the file names from above.

5.  This makes the files from Softpedia suspicious.  In my opinion, things like this contribute to people getting infected.  Only file, or links from the original author should be trusted.  When the file sizes are so dramatically different, it is a reasonable hypothesis that the files have been tampered with.

Just another reason for my computer rules.

Have a great day!
:bananas: :bounce:

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

Macrium Reflect has been around for a long time and is used by many members here and elsewhere.

Other Free alternatives include:

BTW, Best practices:
1. Always try to download software directly from the vendor's official home site. Look for and read the End User's License Agreement (EULA) carefully as well as any other related documentation.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users