Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Xp - Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pinegum

pinegum

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 12:54 PM

Win XP Home edition, 1.6 ghz processor, 512mb ram.

For no apparent reason that I can determine, my Outlook Express email program suddenly will not let me delete an email. Everything else works fine. It's just when I try to delete an email I get the message detailed below. (I've contacted MS Support with no success..) Below was the info requested by MS support and copied for your info.

Version of Operating System: MS XP Home Edition, Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519:Service Pack 2)
(Of course, many automated updates have occured since initial installation)

Version of Outlook Express: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_.rtm.040803-2158)

Other Information:

During my attempts to correct the problem, one message I got was "file perc2.sys is corrupted". Don't know if this has anything to do with it.

The "Event" message is as follows: "Windows cannot access the file C:\Documents and Settings\Kyle\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{52143C36-4AF8-4468-8E0A-53AB4834D6CE}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Deleted Items.dbx for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer, or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Deleted Items.dbx because of this error."

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kyle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 03:32 PM

It appears that the Deleted folder has become corrupted. The easiest way to attempt to correct the problem is to delete that .dbx folder and then launch OE so it can create a new one. If this does not resolve the problem, please post back.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 pinegum

pinegum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:53 PM

John,
I did a search and located the "deleted items.dbx but there doesn't appear to be a "delete" option. Would I just drag and drop it in my wastebasket? I tried right clicking...nothing, then "file" and "edit" but each time I tried the file and edit pulldown my computer got caught in the circle mode and I could only "end task".
Microsoft online help is a joke....
Thanks for your patience.

Kyle

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:46 AM

You can certainly try that, although I have never had a problem deleting a file by right clicking on it. Make sure, though, that OE is closed when you are deleting the file.
Cheers,
John

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:22 AM

an email.

I'm not second quessing John, I just have a tendency to take things literally, so when I see an I read this as meaning singular, so is it just one email that won't delete, or are there others?

I would like to add that I found a really nice article regarding your problem, if you wish to read it you can find it here.

Edited by dc3, 06 June 2006 - 09:38 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 pinegum

pinegum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:16 PM

I can't delete Anything

I'm going to read your referent article, Thanks

#7 pinegum

pinegum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:27 PM

John,

GREAT NEWS!!! I was finally able to drag & drop the Deleted Items .dbx
into the Norton Trash Bin...AND....That fixed my problem.

A huge thanks to you. I really appreciate your interest.

Kyle

:thumbsup:

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:40 PM

Glad I could help! I had a similar problem once with my Inbox, and after a lot of research discovered the trick of simply deleting the non-working folder and letting OE re-create it. Now I use Thunderbird, and have not had- - -so far at least---that kind of problem. since Tb allows you to compact folders.
John

#9 pinegum

pinegum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:57 PM

Thanks DC3.......I printed the article for future reference...Good info on OE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users