Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting a new server for company

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DavidRoggenkamp

DavidRoggenkamp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

Hello everyone. The company that I work for is putting me in charge of getting us a new server within the next couple months. The main thing I am worried about when we get our new server is getting it to look exactly the way our current one is. It's already setup with Domains and shared folders and all the software is on it that we need etc...What will be the best way to get all my info to my new server?. I assume cloning or making an image of the current server would be the best way but I wanted to get some different opinions. If this is the best route to go, what is the best way to go about it? What software should I use, can I put the image on an external drive then load it off that? I'm really nervous about this because we are by no means a small business and this is something that is going to have to be up and running as soon as possible once the server gets here. Any help would be greatly appeciated.

Thanks, David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

Hire a professional.  This is not something that you get help on from the Internet.  I've seen server swaps go well and go very wrong.  Hire a professional and have a backup and back out plan in place before you start.

#3 DavidRoggenkamp

DavidRoggenkamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. That is an option without a doubt but I would like to attempt it myself first then if worse comes to worse get a professional out here to do it. Our current server works it just has some hiccups every now and again. So if it takes a few days to get the new server setup correctly, that would be okay. But if I were to attempt this what would be the best way to go about it?

Edited by DavidRoggenkamp, 14 August 2014 - 03:39 PM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:49 PM

I haven't done a server replacement in over a decade myself, so I can't really guide you.  My part in server replacements recently have been installing them in the rack and getting them on line for a server group to complete the transfer.  Normally both servers run together for a week or so to ensure there are no show stopping issues.

The main things are to have a good backup before you start and a back out plan should things go badly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users