Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question regarding my modem/router combination

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gatorbri

gatorbri

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

Hey guys. New to the forum and came to ask what is probably a very simple question.

I'm curious as to whether or not I should purchase new modem and/or wireless router. Our home consists of just my wife and I, but we tend to have several electronics using the WiFi at a time. I usually notice the most trouble when streaming TV. We use Netlfix, Roku and PlayOn. Our biggest issues usually occur with PlayOn, though we do get occasional buffering with all of the streaming devices. 

Here is the setup we currently have:

Modem : Cisco DPC3010

Router : Netgear N300

We have Cox internet with the Preferred Internet package. It currently states speeds up to 25 Mbps. However, I know they just announced that this would double to 50 Mbps, though I'm unsure if that has happened yet.

So, my question is, would I receive a big bump by purchasing a new modem and/or router? If so, which is more important and what are some suggestions?

Also, we have a 2-story house that is about 2900 square feet. Our router is in our upstairs attic. Could the location of the router have a big part in the amount of buffering we are experiencing? Is this more of a potential issue than the quality of our modem/router in our case?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

If you're using the connection wirelessly then that could be a large part of your buffering issue.  Moving the router or adding a second router configured as a wireless access point might resolve your issues.  It would be best to have the router located close to where you will be using it most.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

The modem is Docsis 3 so that is as good as it gets. 

" Our router is in our upstairs attic"

That is NOT a good location given the heat of summer and cold of winter exposure.  You very well may need to replace the router with a newer one due to this environmental exposure.  Yours came out in June of 2010.  You should find a more central location for it.

#4 gatorbri

gatorbri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

The modem is Docsis 3 so that is as good as it gets. 

" Our router is in our upstairs attic"

That is NOT a good location given the heat of summer and cold of winter exposure.  You very well may need to replace the router with a newer one due to this environmental exposure.  Yours came out in June of 2010.  You should find a more central location for it.

Thanks for the comments guys. What router would you suggest? I have been looking at the ASUS RT-N56U (N600) or the ASUS RT-N66U (N900 ) dual-band gigabit router. Would you recommend one of those or something different? Are those appropriate level or more than I need? I want something that will maximize my network, but don't want to spend a bunch more than necessary and get something that has way more capability than my network needs.

Also, should I consider upgrading my Cox internet from Preferred to Premier? Would that make a big difference? I believe it takes it from 50 Mbps to 100 Mbps.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

More bandwidth the better but I would first replace the router with a dual band one like the asus.  That and a new more central location [not in the attic!] may give you everything you need without having go to 100mb

#6 gatorbri

gatorbri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

More bandwidth the better but I would first replace the router with a dual band one like the asus.  That and a new more central location [not in the attic!] may give you everything you need without having go to 100mb

Given the RT-N66U appears to have come out about 2.5 years ago, are there newer routers out that would have better performance for similar price? Or has not much changed in the past couple of years?

Also, do I need to worry about the fact that the modem has been in the attic too? 

I plugged my laptop directly into the modem and used speedtest and was getting a little over 60 mbps so I'm assuming it's still good, correct?

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:19 PM

See also Power Line Adapters...

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users