Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi drivers won't install

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 19nffc77

19nffc77

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

I have a Packard Bell One Two m3700 PC which no longer connects to the internet via wifi. If I plug in the ethernet cable there are no problems I can connect straight away and I have 2 other computers in the house that are using the router wirelessly with no problems. There are no signal bars in the bottom right corner and when I open network and sharing centre there is no option for wifi as if wifi has never existed on this computer. I have restored to factory settings with no luck. I read that it may be the drivers but when I attempt to install the Realtek wireless LAN driver I get the message 'QMI module not exist'. I then tried the Ralink wireless LAN driver and get 'we do not support this operating system'. I'm just running windows 7 (64 bit) which is preinstalled.and the drivers were from Packard Bell's own website and found from the serial number.Any help appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 15 August 2014 - 08:39 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:27 AM

You tried the drivers found here... http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/packard+bell/laptops-desktops/onetwo-m3700/2532 ?

The RAlink driver definitely has a win7x64 version.

#3 19nffc77

19nffc77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

Thanks ElfBane, I did manage to get the drivers to install but it turns out that wasn't my problem. My computer is still not recognising any wifi networks.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

Then it's possible that the wifi chipset on the MB has failed. You might be able to get wifi thru the USB ports with a wifi dongle. If you have a friend with a dongle have them use it in your PC and see if it works (you may have to install drivers from a CD to do this).

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

It sounds to me like the drivers are not the issue

"My computer is still not recognising any wifi networks"

--- This sounds to me like no networks are being reported as available

--- Is this the case?

What is your wireless access point?

--- Is it your ISP provided modem/router? If so is it a wireless unit?

--- Or is your wireless access system include a wireless router in addition to the ISP provided modem/router?

Additional questions:

"There are no signal bars in the bottom right corner and when I open network and sharing centre there is no option for wifi as if wifi has never existed on this computer"

--- When you open the Networking and Sharing Center you should have options to change your network settings

--- Have you tried the appropriate selection?

If you go into Change Adapter Settings, most likely you won't see any strength bars automatically, but work off the available options

I just noticed ElfBanes input as I was typing my response; to me that's a good idea

#6 19nffc77

19nffc77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:52 PM

cmptrgy- Sorry if I'm not being clear, you're right no networks are reported as being available and my wireless access point is a ISP provided wireless router. 

If I go into 'change adapter settings' it says 'Local Area Connection- Network Cable Unplugged' and there is nothing else on that screen.

I'll do as ElfBane suggests and try a wireless dongle see if I have any joy that way. Thanks guys.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

19nffc77 actually I think you are doing a very good job of describing what you are experiencing

Sometimes I  need to know whether or not I'm interpreting what's going on correctly

"when I attempt to install the Realtek wireless LAN driver I get the message 'QMI module not exist'

--- This is where you hit the nail on the head

--- The computer doesn't even see your built in wireless adapter

I don't like to assume anything, but I 'd like to know that if you go into Device Manager whether or not there is a yellow or red marker on your Network Adapter for your built in wireless adapter

--- Please verify whether or not that is the case

--- Then click on Properties and let us know what the device status is; it appears to me it should report something This device is disabled Code 22. Whatever it is, please let us know

--- I've haven't had to do this on a wireless adapter, but I've read that the driver can be uninstalled, shut down, start back up and let the drivers be found and installed automatically and then check Windows Updates

With all that said, I believe ElfBane suggestion will work as I've already mentioned, and if you like the results, that's a pretty good fix

#8 19nffc77

19nffc77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:42 AM

Larry,

I can't see anything relating to the wireless adapter. All I have in device manager -> network adapters is Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

In ElfBane's link in post 2,  just above the table of drivers there is a sentence "we have a great driver detect utility for you, please click here to download"

--- click on here in that web site and let the driver detect utility run it's course and evaluate the results

--- As ElfBane mentioned "it's possible that the wifi chipset on the MB has failed" 

--- Hopefully the driver detect utility will detect whether or not the wifi chipset needs attention

#10 19nffc77

19nffc77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:25 AM

Hi Larry,

Sorry it's taken a little while to reply. I downloaded the driver toolkit and ran it, the program found a few out of date drivers but nothing relating to wifi. I bought a really cheap wifi dongle, installed the drivers and my wifi came in immediately so whilst it's not perfect it's a great work around and the speed is great so now I wouldn't know the difference.

Really appreciate your help with this and also thanks to Elfbane.

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:43 AM

19nffc77 thanks for letting us know your solution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users