Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I know rmdir command is working in cmd? There's a blinking cursor?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 typicaldani

typicaldani

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

Hi, I am trying to delete a folder that is very large (184gb, ten million files). I am trying to do it from cmd and I used rmdir /s /q to do so. Right now there is a blinking cursor on the next line, is this normal? I know if it succeeds it will take a long time, but how do I know it's actually doing anything?

I ask because previously I tried to use the attrib command to remove the read-only attribute on this same folder and all its files and got the same cursor. I left it alone for a day but when I woke up the computer had rebooted itself and the files and folders were still read only. I've given up on that and really just want them gone, I just need to know if this command is actually doing anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

With command prompt and PowerShell terminal windows, you often won't get any output when the command runs successfully. It will just return to a new command prompt.

If you didn't get any error messages, the command probably ran successfully. You can always check this by running   dir path\foldername. If it says it can't find that file, then you successfully removed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users