Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop wont start. I just get a black screen with the mouse cursor on it

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 redbullpaul

redbullpaul

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:52 AM

Hi.I hope everyone reading this is having a better start to their day than me. My Toshiba laptop (satellite L850-166) has stopped working and i know nothing about computers. After an hour looking on the net for a solution i am even more confused, so any help offered will have to be in noob language please.

So here goes.

I was watching a youtube video and my computer froze.

I left it for a bit to see if it would sort itself but it didnt.

I tried to start the task manager but that wouldnt open.

I then held the power button down and shut the computer down.

When i restarted the computer it showed the Toshiba screen (as usual) giving me the F2 and F12 options for setup and boot menu.

It then went to a screen saying windows was loading files (not seen this screen before) the progress bar underneath the message then filled up.

After about 30 seconds a new screen showed with a coloured progress bar with  microsoft corporation  written underneath. This bar only filled to a quarter then the screen went black. There is a mouse cursor on the screen that i have control of.

I have left it for half an hour and nothing changes. I have also tried to start the computer a few times but its the same every time.

If anyone knows what my problem is or can offer advice on it i would be most grateful. We have some family photos on the computer and i need to get them 

Also Minecraft is calling and all my saves are on the computer.

Many thanks in advance

Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:00 AM

Hi, can you get it to boot into safe mode?

To do so, from start up keep tapping the F8 key, that should give you the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the up and down keys to highlight Safe mode, or safe mode with networking, then press the Enter key. If it boots into safe mode, or not, let us know, whoever comes next will help further.

Nev.

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#3 redbullpaul

redbullpaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:11 AM

Hi nev. Thanks for such a quick reply. I just tried the F8 thing but no advanced boot options screen came up. The only thing that changed was when the "windows is loading files" message was on screen the laptop emitted a high pitched beep and the progress bar did not fill until i stopped tapping F8

Paul

#4 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:02 PM

If you got the high pitched beep, either you didn't start early enough, or perhaps too late, try hovering you finger over the F8 key, and as soon as you see the F2 or F12 options, hold down the F8 key.

If still nothing after a few tries, it may be the hard drive has failed, however someone else might have other idea's to try first before we look at replacement.

Nev.

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#5 redbullpaul

redbullpaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

Just tried the F8 thing as per new instructions and we have another screen to describe:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 083)

Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

This Product is covered by one or more of the following patents:

US5,307,459, US5,434,872, US5,732,094, US6,570,884, US6, 115,776 and US6,327,625

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Series v2.38 (12/24/10)

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device

or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

I know the copyright and patent stuff is probably of no use but thought i would be thorough.

Does this shed any light on the problem

Paul

#6 redbullpaul

redbullpaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

just searched the PXE-E61 code and found that it means the boot priority is not correct. The suggested fix was to hold delete key to enter bios setup and move hdd to top of list. I tried this but it didnt take me to bios setup only brought me to the screen from my last post

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

The PXE- errors...typically indicate a failing CMOS battery...which changes the default boot option in the BIOS to a network boot.  Since the system is not setup for a network boot, the errors are generated.

I would go into the BIOS...see what the first boot option currently is.  If it is not the hard drive, attempt to set it to the hard drive...then save the changes made in the BIOS settings by hitting F10.

I would replace the RTC/CMOS battery, if easily done.

Louis

#8 redbullpaul

redbullpaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

Hi louis. Thanks for the help. how do i get into the bios setup. I have tried holding the delete key as advised on another site but that didnt take me anywhere new. Also if i change the battery is there anything special i need to know or is it just simply pop the old one out and replace.

Paul

#9 PepsiFC

PepsiFC

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

Hi louis. Thanks for the help. how do i get into the bios setup. I have tried holding the delete key as advised on another site but that didnt take me anywhere new. Also if i change the battery is there anything special i need to know or is it just simply pop the old one out and replace.

Paul

When you start up your computer, it should say "Press F2 to enter setup". Simply press F2 and navigate to advanced boot options, and put your hardrive as the 1st boot option, press F10 and then enter.

#10 redbullpaul

redbullpaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:06 PM

Hi pepsi. Thanks for the help. Ive just got into the bios. On the boot screen the HDD/SDD is at the top of the list. But i noticed that on the main settings screen next to HDD/SDD it says none. Does this mean my hard drive is kaput or will replacing the cmos battery louis spoke of rectify this.

Paul

#11 PepsiFC

PepsiFC

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hi pepsi. Thanks for the help. Ive just got into the bios. On the boot screen the HDD/SDD is at the top of the list. But i noticed that on the main settings screen next to HDD/SDD it says none. Does this mean my hard drive is kaput or will replacing the cmos battery louis spoke of rectify this.

Paul

This means your computerisn't detecting the hard drive properly. This could mean that it is broken, but it could also mean that it isn't connected properly. The first thing I would do is opening up the computer and verifying that the hard drive is properly connected.

#12 redbullpaul

redbullpaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

ok. just checked the hard drive seems to be clean and inserted properly. Any ideas on my next move. I have another laptop I could try the hard drive in but im worried that it will cause issues for the other laptop.

Paul

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

Maybe you've already done this but I would consider removing the hard drive, make sure everything is clean just like you have done already, then gently reinsert the hard drive and make sure it's a good snug fit. I would also replace the CMOS battery at the same time if you can; I can't guarantee it will be part of the solution, but at least you will see the results. You might have to go into the BIOS afterward and set the correct time and ensure proper boot priority; btw if you set the BIOS to default settings, the proper boot priority should set up automatically

BTW, you have an additional problem; your Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Series v2.38 (1224/10) PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable. Whether or not that's the source of your problem I cannot say yet maybe that needs to be determined by eliminating the hard drive and CMOS battery first is a good thing to do. I have started a search for regarding the Realtek and if I find anything useful I'll post it

#14 redbullpaul

redbullpaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

Thanks ive removed the hard drive checked its clean and re inserted it. It seems a snug fit there is a piece of plastic on the inside of the panel which pushes the drive towards the connectors so im sure it is ok.

I will try the cmos battery tomorrow.

If i swap the hard drives of the two laptops i have will it have any adverse effects on the laptop which is running ok. It seems to me an easy way to check if the problem is the hard drive. If the broken laptop works with the hard drive from my other laptop then it would seem to me a no brainer that the hard drive is faulty. My only worry is causing problems with the good laptop. Anybody got any advice on swapping the hard drive?

Paul

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

OK I checked some Toshiba forums for the exact messages you posted and all of them have a common answer

This message appears if the notebook cannot find the bootable device and finally switches to the LAN boot option.
It looks like the HDD malfunctions and therefore the notebook does not boot the system from HDD.
In such cases the HDD has to be replaced and the system needs to be installed again

Some of them did state " try removing/reseating the hard drive to make sure its seated properly"

I don't own a Toshiba but on some of them I checked there was a Diagnostic tool that can be accessed

--- If you can find the function key to get to the Diagnostic tool try it out

Edit: I'm not sure about the effects of inserting the hard drive into your know good running laptop

--- Is that one a Toshiba laptop also and exactly the same OS?

--- I have done what you are asking about on desktops even on different models without any problems but I was in a position in which I had image backups with proper boot discs available

Edited by cmptrgy, 14 August 2014 - 05:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users