Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot Shows Registry Change. What To Do?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ron in RI

Ron in RI

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:15 AM

[font=Arial][size=4]

Hi (first time here)

I just had to reformat my hard drive; have used Spybot before. Have Averatec notebook 4200 Series
Windows XP SP 2 (use dial-up modem, ISP att.net)

In restoring the hard drive, I got to the point where I could do a Search and Destroy scan. It came up with:

WINDOWS SECURITY CENTER.AntiVirusOverride (Registry change)

Settings:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword.0

I am timid about REGISTRY stuff and I don't know whether this is good, bad, or indifferent.

Is this "bad"? Should I do something? Nothing? "Fix Selected Problem"?

All comments and suggestions will be very much appreciated. THANKS.

Ron in RI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:37 AM

These detections really aren't all that significant, and don't really indicate any sort of problem. Please refer to the following link to a discussion about this same issue on the Spybot forums:

Spybot Discussion About Your Question

I would recommend following the advice given there.
--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

#3 Ron in RI

Ron in RI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:41 AM

[font=Arial][size=4]

Maybe I can answer my own question posted above:

Before doing the Spybot scan I installed avast! AntiVirus, which was operating when the Spybot scan was done.

I am thinking that maybe the "Registry Change".....MicrosoftAntiVirus Override...simply designates that
this Registry change was made when avast! was installed.

In that case, the "problem" picked up by Search and Destroy (the problem being the Override) is simply a 'notification' that that Registry change has been made and that the Override notification is no longer needed.

If that's the case, would I go back to the Spyboy report and click on "Fix All Problems" to delete this Registry change???

Thanks.

#4 Ron in RI

Ron in RI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:50 AM

[font=Comic Sans Ms][size=4][b]

Thanks, Harry83. That's very helpful!! I understand it now and can move on from here....

Ron in RI

#5 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:54 AM

It simply means that a Windows Security Center notification has been disabled. This was disabled by Avast. I suggest just adding these to your list of exclusions from future scans. See this FAQ at Spybot:

Answer To Your Question

Hope that helps.

Glad I could help :thumbsup:

Edited by Harry83, 03 June 2006 - 11:54 AM.

--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users