Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how this works?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 5ath335h

5ath335h

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:47 AM

Can someone please explain me how this diagram works?

Attached Files

• Attached File  123.png   63.99KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

First issue is terms.  There seems to be a new generation coming into IT that don't seem to understand what the terms router or modem mean and end up using the word modem when they mean router.  Very simply a modem does not do NAT [network address translation] whereas a router does.

This is a key understanding to your question.

When you put in google's ip address in a browser it does not go directly to the google server.  It goes to your router which says this isn't a local address so I will forward it to the next router.  Now that packet is on the internet which is a series of routers.  The same dialog takes place until one says "oh I know that server, give the packet to me and I will send it to the server"

The same is done in reverse to get back to you from the google server.

Google network address translation for more info.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

As Wand3r3r said, that picture over simplifies what is going on.

The client has a 10.x.x.x address which is on a private network making it non-routable.  The item listed as a modem is actually a router and it has two IP addresses, one on the LAN side which would be a 10.100.1.x address and the public 181.76.x.x address that is connected to the Internet.

Sending something to a server is rarely done via an IP address, normally it is sent to a name, like www.yahoo.com, ftp.adobe.com, or \\sever\share.  The name is resolved to an IP address via Doman Name System (DNS) or Windows Internet Name Service (WINS).  What port you send it to makes a difference and the server has to be listening on that port.  The same goes for sending the information back, if the router is not expecting it, it will be dropped, unless the machine is in the DMZ or a port has been opened using UPnP or manually forwarded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users