Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Disk not able to read some folders after connecting to LG LED TV

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 VishnuSalim

VishnuSalim

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:58 AM

Hi,

I am heavy user of external hard disks and have been using it for quiet few years. Till now  I never confronted a problem like this. I usually connect the hard disk directly to the television instead of using a media player. But this time, after I connected to the TV some of the folders in my hard disk are not being read in my laptop. Windows 8 is not recognizing these folders. It shows 0 bytes as folder size where in the actual sizes of these folders are about 60-100 GB. The image below shows the files in the red box that are affected.

Now I'm worried if I will lose these data as they are very important for me. If anyone has been in this situation before or know about this please help me. It's urgent!!

Regards,

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:28 AM

That looks like file corruption on the drive and thats a bad sign. Moving a hd around all the time can cause damage to the data if it gets bumped hard enough. It's best to use a SSD as there are no mechanical moving parts. You could try chkdsk from the command line. If the drive is D: then the command would be chkdsk /f D: You may also try a recovery program that can read data raw like recuva or isobuster or something like that.

#3 VishnuSalim

VishnuSalim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:49 AM

Thank You technonymous for the quick reply. I already tried the command prompt and the recovery software. Unfortunately it was of no use. Is there a way to recover by formatting the hard disk or something?

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

The data is lost. You can format the drive blank again and probably reuse the drive. It depends the condition of the drive. You should download speccy and post the link here so we can take a look at the report.

#5 VishnuSalim

VishnuSalim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

Ok. So, as you said I downloaded speccy and the url is this:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/un8WlzhOmPat0DkPzmZTU7x

Hope this helps.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

Download and run PhotoRec on the drive if have not tried it. Make sure you pick the extensions you want recovered in Folder Options or you will get files recovered you don't need like dll filed.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

A good paid option is Easeus Data Recovery. It will scan the driver first and let your retrieve 1GB of data for free. If you see your files, you can purchase the key that will allow unlimited recovery. Do not recover the data back to the external drive.

I would also try a small linux distro like Puppy Linux. It may be able to mount the drive and access the files where Windows could not.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 August 2014 - 04:30 PM.

#7 VishnuSalim

VishnuSalim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:01 AM

Thank you JohnC_21 for your reply. Now the problem is different. Last night I connected my hard disk to the media player. One of the recovery software has made folder 'found001' and put all the folders that has been affected in it. Now I'm able to see the files on the tv with the help of a media player but not on my laptop. This is weird right?

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:52 AM

Hmm that is very strange. With the drive connected right click and go to tools and run error checking. Try the command attrib -h -r -s /s /d d:\*.* You might have malware. Try running malwarebytes and do a online scan..http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

#9 VishnuSalim

VishnuSalim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:06 AM

Ok. So error checking have been done earlier. It was scanned successfully and no error was found even though earlier there was some error which did not allow windows to complete the scan. The command prompt is giving some errors which I'm not able to make out. I've added a screenshot of that. Eset online scanner cleared some threats. But still the same problem prevails.

Attached Files

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:06 AM

So the files still read fine on the tv's media player? I am assuming the tv uses some sort of custom Linux. What format is the HD? Maybe you can try downloading a live Linux cd and boot from that and then hook the drive up and access the files that way. If it works, create new directories and move the files then boot back into windows again. Make the entire drive read only. You could try to move the files off the drive if you can and reformat the drive into more universal format. Something like FAT32 that will work on the tv and Windows. Each format has it's advantages and disadvantages. http://logiclounge.com/2012/09/24/what-are-the-different-hard-drive-file-types/ It sounds like the tv wrote to the drive and corrupted it, or worst case the drive itself is having problems. Speccy didn't how anything out of the ordinary. However, a logic board could still be bad on the HD or a cable connection causing data losses. If you use a drive that is being moved constantly I would look into SSD as there are no moving parts. A TV that has network capabilities you can then use a NAS or a router that has a USB port and share files that way.

#11 VishnuSalim

VishnuSalim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:35 AM

Now it's working fine.All I had to do is change some security permissions. After doing this the files were back in the folders.

Thank you very much for the support.

Regards

#12 NJ2010

NJ2010

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:17 PM

what security permissions did u change? i am facing the same problem. 1st harddisk - same problem as urs.  got it replaced. 2nd harddisk - green light keeps blinking and tv shuts off and on :D 

#13 VishnuSalim

VishnuSalim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:35 AM

Hi Nj2010

Do you have the same problem as mine? Have you checked out the screenshot I've uploaded?

If so please reply.

Regards

#14 amvhd

amvhd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 26 December 2014 - 04:29 PM

Hi Nj2010

Do you have the same problem as mine? Have you checked out the screenshot I've uploaded?

If so please reply.

Regards

hi

i have same problem

which permsion must be change

please help me

#15 mamaher

mamaher

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:51 PM

I have exactly same problem and i have seen same screen shoots. What are security modifications required in order to restore folders.

I appreciate your support

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users