Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to unlock partition in external harddisk ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 loki73

loki73

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:21 AM

Hello everyone..

I have an internal disk [500gb SATA] which is now converted into external using Enclosure. 
When i used it as internal i locked some partitions using third party software. [At that point of my time i used windows 7].
I do not have my PC now to plug in the harddrive and unlock it. 

Now i'm using it as an external hard drive to my laptop[Windows 8.1]. 

How can i unlock the partitions. ?
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup

• Security Colleague
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:42 AM

It depends on what you used to lock it. Do you know the program that was used? You should be able to use the same program to unlock it in general.

If there is no data on it that you want then you could delete all the partitions and create a new one and reformat the drive and use it.

#3 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:38 AM

Hello everyone..

I have an internal disk [500gb SATA] which is now converted into external using Enclosure. 
When i used it as internal i locked some partitions using third party software. [At that point of my time i used windows 7].

Thanks in advance.

If you mean you use a particular encryption software to lock your drive then I think you should probably need the same application to decrypt or unlock your drive.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#4 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:52 PM

Hello everyone..

Thanks in advance.

If you wont mind, why would you need to partition a drive in the first place? 

Anyway, whatever you used to lock the partition should be able to unlock it as well. 

If your partition is empty, you might consider just reformating it instead.

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users